Navy or Black Blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brooklyn, Apr 24, 2005.

1. brooklyn

brooklyn Senior member

If you had to pick one in your closet which would you pick. I need to get one for business casual days and I don't know what to do. I generally wear slacks. Grey, black, blue. Maybe once in awhile pair it with a pair of jeans. I would like to have a 3 button with side vents. Your opinions would be appreciated.

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

Navy definitely.

3. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

Navy and try to find a two button...side vents are great. Canali makes one.

4. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

5. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

Navy, unless you need to affect that "Planet of the Yoko Onos" downtown look.

I don't like side vents, myself - too much like Roger Moore in "The Saint".

Two buttons - otherwise you'll look like Buster Brown.

Thus endeth the Pop Culture Reference-Laden Lecture.

Have fun,

6. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

Don't forget the brass buttons if navy blue, my preference, is your choice. Â When I see a blue jacket with black buttons, worn as a blazer, I wonder if it's just a suit jacket that's been severed from its matching pants. Â Is there a reason for not having brass buttons?

7. benchan

benchan Senior member

I would pick a black blazer with no vent

8. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I have a DB navy blazer without brass buttons. I had a choice and went without. I already had a 2B blazer with buttons with the crest of my secondary school alma mater, so I figured it would be nice to have one without

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

My preference is navy, two-button and I don't like shiny brass buttons. But I also don't want people to think I'm just wearing a suitcoat. I know it's possible to buy buttons separately and have them changed, but I don't know where to get blazer buttons (others here know, as I've seen it posted, but forgot).

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Navy, and have the buttons (whether brass or same colored) replaced with antiqued silver ones. A good way to differentiate yourself from the "I so want to own a yacht" club without people wondering whether you are wearing an orphaned suit jacket (although the material and true navy color should make this clear to even a casual observer.)

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

If you're young it looks like a jacket that you got for christmas from Steinmart; at any age it looks like you're lost and looking for the yacht club. Some interesting and unusual buttons can be had here: http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=4 EDIT: I had a Polo blue blazer with marbled cream colored buttons, surprisingly it worked well.

13. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

Perhaps the brass button reactions are related to geography and location. In the urban centers of New York, Chicago, and San Francisco, a blue blazer with brass buttons is about as ubiquitous as a windbreaker would be in Portland, Oregon. The brass buttons aren't considered "fancy" or "pretentious;" they're nearly invisible and implicitly understood to be part of a standard uniform. I have noticed in California, where I live, that there can be an element of snide condescension directed toward those who make an effort to dress well. I know that the generalized CA ideal is a seemingly unstudied, breezy, disheveled-but-luxurious style, as opposed to the starchier and more pressed styles you might find elsewhere. Based on what I've read above, I'd better set up an appointment with a yacht broker to find something to go with my brass-buttoned blazer.

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Another vote for navy, two-button, side vents. It's probably one of the two most worn items in my closet whereas my black one rarely sees the light of day.

15. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I'd like to cast my vote for DB navy with side vents and gold buttons.