Navy on navy: Prime Minister Cameron

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CrimsonSox, Aug 20, 2013.

1. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Senior member

A line we often hear about a necktie is: "you need more contrast in that outfit." This can sometimes be valid, but it overlooks how tone-on-tone, especially navy-on-navy, can be beautiful. Compare Prime Minister Cameron's different ties and how they work better or worse.

Navy tie on navy suit:

[​IMG]

Teal blue:

[​IMG]

Green tie:

[​IMG]

Bright purple:

[​IMG]

I know which tie this gentleman would select:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

2. steveabdn

steveabdn Senior member

The only one that I think really looks good is the navy on navy!

3. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Navy on navy is the only photo I actually like. The photo with the teal tie would look much better IMO if you replaced teal with a nice pale blue with less sheen. Same criticism for the purple tie. The green tie on blue shirt isn't bad but it's both not conservative and a bit boring.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

There's lots of contrast in the navy on navy. He's wearing a white shirt.

6. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

Does he have his bottom button done in the first pic? What up with that?

7. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

I like the look and the same with grey suit and grey tie, for a work suit - simple look with a plain white, striped white or plain pale shirt.

8. lierre

lierre Well-Known Member

where's the dimple....

9. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Senior member

That's a favorite of mine too, Macallan. Surprisingly, Grant is nearly 80 in this photo:

[​IMG]

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

IIRC, Kennedy wore a style of jacket that was designed for both buttons to be buttoned, which is a relative rarity. I'm not sure Cameron is doing the same thing.

12. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Senior member

I think that's right. JFK used to wear a "paddock coat" that is meant to have its two front buttons fastened: http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/paddock-suit/

In Cameron's case, I'm not sure either what he's doing. His jacket doesn't appear to be a paddock coat. He might be fastening the bottom button because his jacket might be tight, if he's gained some weight. This causes the bottom button to swing away from the buttonhole, potentially exposing the tie, shirt, and trouser waistband. So to cover those up, he could have chosen to fasten the bottom button. Either that, or he's ignoring (or forgetting) the rule to button only the top button of a 2B.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The paddock coat thing is mostly an internet myth. It started as speculation with somebody trying to explain why, Kennedy, being generally a snappy dresser, was breaking such a basic rule. They couldn't find an explanation, so they dug up something obscure about the coat itself to explain it. But his coats don't look special to my eye (you'll notice that paddock suit link shows a suit that's essentially a 3 button without the bottom button, which Kennedy's decidedly is not), they just have the somewhat higher buttoning points popular in the 50s and 60's. Look at this picture, where his coat looks to be cut exactly the same as those his brothers are wearing: [​IMG] Truth is, it wasn't always a basic rule, and took longer to be accepted here in America than it did in Britain, where it started to flatter a King (forget which one) who got too fat to button the bottom button of his coats. Despite common perception, most coats are still cut to allow that bottom button to close, even though pretty much everybody adopted the current practice in the 60's. Well, in the US/Britain. You still see bottom buttons buttoned in other countries. Of course, it has been standard to leave the bottom button undone for a while now in both Britain and North America, so I have no explanation for why Cameron isn't following the rule.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

14. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative post. I have a hard time buying the "he forgot" explanation. Presumably he has been wearing a suit every day for the last two decades and someone would have corrected him on his habit early on if he was unintentionally doing it wrong!

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored