• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Linen Suit

sajohnson05

Reaction score
Is navy a good color to go with for a linen suit. I am looking for something different then all the other linen suits you see in the summer months. I just wanted to get the opinion of members on the forum.

Also, does anyone know where to get a good one at?

Merlino

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting my first linen suit and it'll be navy, but for the simple reason that no one at work wears linen suits and I think getting a navy one makes it easier for me to start wearing linen at work, navy being a safe colour.

So yes, I think navy is a good colour for linen.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy one from BB I like and wear to work frequently.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy linen at work:

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I think a navy linen suit is a great idea. The navy colour is complemented well by the way linen wrinkles. I know Paul Smith made a really cool one a couple of seasons ago, but you designers change every season and I'm not sure who's offering one right now.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the way it's worn in the above photo. To me, this is something you wear without a tie (or at most a knit tie), slip-on shoes, and probably no socks. I'd also consider this with a short sleeve shirt, perhaps something with dual buttoning chest pockets in white, lavender or light blue.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the way it's worn in the above photo. To me, this is something you wear without a tie (or at most a knit tie), slip-on shoes, and probably no socks. I'd also consider this with a short sleeve shirt, perhaps something with dual buttoning chest pockets in white, lavender or light blue.

Sure, but when it's 85 degrees out and nearly 100% humidity, and you have to be in Court, your suggestions are not an option.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Sure, but when it's 85 degrees out and nearly 100% humidity, and you have to be in Court, your suggestions are not an option.

Point taken

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think linen suits in navy are good for a more casual or festive settings - weddings, parties, man-about-town, that sort of thing. If you want a real, "serious" business suit, I would stick with a tropical weight wool.

I have a cotton and linen suit that I wear for business but that is because I am working with creative people in T-shirts so it adds a casual touch. I also take the jacket and wear it with jeans. If you have that kind of flexibility where you work then, yes, get a navy linen suit.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier

You guys in Philly don't even know what humidity is.
laugh.gif
Great look. A rec for short sleeves with it?
tinfoil.gif
Mine has patch pockets and I still wear it to court.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
You guys in Philly don't even know what humidity is.
laugh.gif
Great look. A rec for short sleeves with it?
tinfoil.gif
Mine has patch pockets and I still wear it to court.

KObalto, Philly summers are about as humid as you can get outside of the rainforest! I can't imagine it's much better by you, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads