Navy Linen Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sajohnson05, May 1, 2011.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Personally not a fan of solid linen and the way it hangs. I prefer a blend or a light wool.

2. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Linen is awesome—light-weight, cool, and I like the way it creases! *linen fan-boy [​IMG] [​IMG] No offense, jcmeyer, because I really don't like picking on people (unlike some members! *cough), I think (for a shoe that is similar) you can't go wrong with a beige, Clarks Originals desert boot (or even the new brogue version—for a lower cut—although, they do seem a little dorky!)! [​IMG] Or [​IMG]

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Linen is awesome"”light-weight, cool and I like the way it creases! *linen fan-boy [​IMG] [​IMG]

No offense, jcmeyer, because I really don't like picking on people (unlike some members! *cough), I think (for a shoe that is similar) you can't go wrong with a beige, Clarks Originals desert boot (or even the new brogue version"”for a lower cut"”although, they do seem a little dorky!)!

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

The bottom ones are not great either...

We're not picking on him , we're just honest...

Nothing personal in our responses.

I love the top ones but they will stained very quickly.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I love my navy linen suit.

5. JapanAlex01

Yeah, the brogues look a little weird"”wouldn't bother me if I saw someone wearing them, though. Yeah, I know, candid/bluff/whatever.

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Here is mine. Borrelli, cotton and linen. [​IMG]
    Very nice POCKET SQUARE guy, but something is missing from this look. Can't quite put my finger on it. What can it be? p.s. I'm looking for some walnut PTBs or CTBs. Do you mind sharing the details of yours?

7. JapanAlex01

^ A pocket square, guy?! *badoing! [​IMG]

I think the shoes could be a slightly darker brown, for my tastes, and suede, also! [​IMG]

The tie is what I like the most... which wasn't the point, was it?! [​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the shoes could be a slightly darker brown, for my tastes, and suede, also! [​IMG]

If it is hot and humid, wearing more of a tan shoe lightens up the look and feel of a dark navy linen. A darker shoe makes a dark suit look warmer on a hot day, to me anyway.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

If it is hot and humid, wearing more of a tan shoe lightens up the look and feel of a dark navy linen. A darker shoe makes a dark suit look warmer on a hot day, to me anyway.

So - details?

10. JapanAlex01

I guess, I know what you mean. I'm just picky, that's all"”that's the thing with fashion, people get their mind set on things. Doesn't mean that other people are, necessarily, wrong. [​IMG] For example, you way you tied your shoe-laces"”going up"”I prefer to go down? I don't know why that bugs me?! [​IMG]

11. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Navy looks very nice for a linen suit. However, from a functionality point of view (dark colors absorb more radiation/heat) it might be not perfect for a summer suit if you live in a really sunny area...the British colonial troops chose khaki as uniform color for a reason.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Navy looks very nice for a linen suit. However, from a functionality point of view (dark colors absorb more radiation/heat) it might be not perfect for a summer suit if you live in a really sunny area...the British colonial troops chose khaki as uniform color for a reason.

Acrid recently posted something about black being better in the heat in windy conditions. He even posted a research article about it. Wish I could find it...

13. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

No offense, jcmeyer, because I really don't like picking on people (unlike some members! *cough), I think (for a shoe that is similar) you can't go wrong with a beige, Clarks Originals desert boot (or even the new brogue version"”for a lower cut"”although, they do seem a little dorky!)!

Yeah, the brogues look a little weird"”wouldn't bother me if I saw someone wearing them, though. Yeah, I know, candid/bluff/whatever.

No offense taken. There are just a few people on here who won't be invited to my birthday party. And I'm not a fan of either of those styles but I appreciate the help.

I received my MTM navy linen suit today and I'm pretty happy with the fit. A tweak here and there and it should be good to go. That said, the shoes I posted do not work at all with the suit as PSG rightly stated. [​IMG] It's more the silver eyelets than anything. But I still like them-- wore them today with light khakis:

[​IMG]

And they go well with jeans as well. Will post some pics of my new suit if I get the chance.

14. JapanAlex01

Hay, they actually look pretty nice with your feet in them! I guess they were just floppy, without foot?! How can you not be a fan of Clarks desert boots..?! [​IMG]

15. sajohnson05

sajohnson05 Senior member

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to try on the BB Fitzgerald model next time im there. Hope to find one soon but really love to find a patch pocket one.