Navy Linen Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sajohnson05, May 1, 2011.

1. sajohnson05

sajohnson05 Senior member

Is navy a good color to go with for a linen suit. I am looking for something different then all the other linen suits you see in the summer months. I just wanted to get the opinion of members on the forum.

Also, does anyone know where to get a good one at?

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Dark color may be warmer -i've been looking for a good jacket for some time, not having much luck.

3. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

I'm planning on getting my first linen suit and it'll be navy, but for the simple reason that no one at work wears linen suits and I think getting a navy one makes it easier for me to start wearing linen at work, navy being a safe colour.

So yes, I think navy is a good colour for linen.

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I have a navy one from BB I like and wear to work frequently.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Navy linen at work:
    [​IMG]

6. Mr. Sartorial

Mr. Sartorial Senior member

I think a navy linen suit is a great idea. The navy colour is complemented well by the way linen wrinkles. I know Paul Smith made a really cool one a couple of seasons ago, but you designers change every season and I'm not sure who's offering one right now.

7. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the way it's worn in the above photo. To me, this is something you wear without a tie (or at most a knit tie), slip-on shoes, and probably no socks. I'd also consider this with a short sleeve shirt, perhaps something with dual buttoning chest pockets in white, lavender or light blue.

8. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the way it's worn in the above photo. To me, this is something you wear without a tie (or at most a knit tie), slip-on shoes, and probably no socks. I'd also consider this with a short sleeve shirt, perhaps something with dual buttoning chest pockets in white, lavender or light blue.

Sure, but when it's 85 degrees out and nearly 100% humidity, and you have to be in Court, your suggestions are not an option.

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Sure, but when it's 85 degrees out and nearly 100% humidity, and you have to be in Court, your suggestions are not an option.

Point taken

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Navy linen at work:
    [​IMG]

I like that...

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I like that...

Me too.

Thanks guys.

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think linen suits in navy are good for a more casual or festive settings - weddings, parties, man-about-town, that sort of thing. If you want a real, "serious" business suit, I would stick with a tropical weight wool.

I have a cotton and linen suit that I wear for business but that is because I am working with creative people in T-shirts so it adds a casual touch. I also take the jacket and wear it with jeans. If you have that kind of flexibility where you work then, yes, get a navy linen suit.

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

You guys in Philly don't even know what humidity is. [​IMG] Great look. A rec for short sleeves with it? [​IMG] Mine has patch pockets and I still wear it to court.

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

You guys in Philly don't even know what humidity is. [​IMG] Great look. A rec for short sleeves with it? [​IMG] Mine has patch pockets and I still wear it to court.
    KObalto, Philly summers are about as humid as you can get outside of the rainforest! I can't imagine it's much better by you, though.