• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Hugo Boss?

eddyinmiami

Reaction score
DOnt where suits much but, just purchased a dark navy blue Hugo Boss suit for a evening wedding. What color shirt should I wear I have a nice very light pink hugo boss shirt but, dont know what tie to wear and I was given cufflinks for the holidays should I wear them? Dazed and confuse and someone help?
musicboohoo[1].gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a black shirt with a silver tie, if other men will be similarly attired. (Not that it's a particularly good look.) Pink is a bit bold and doesn't flatter all skin types. Lavender with or without a tie could look nice.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys joking? You're seriously recommending black shirts with a navy suit? He's going to a wedding, not a La Cosa Nostra meeting.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, you're going to a wedding-- despite what others might be wearing (unless it is extremely casual or something out of the ordinary), i would strongly recommend you:

+ ensure your suit fits properly before the big night. married or not, women like to check us out at weddings, so i always go lookin sharp
smile.gif
. navy huge boss suit sounds great, probably best worn with no cuffs in the trousers, VERY little break in your pants as well.

+ the pink shirt sounds good-- you just have to find a nice tie to set it off. A classic white shirt would also be a great choice, of course.

+ pocketsquare, in the square/ tv fold would be perfect. linen or fine cotton from most any mens store or better department store (ben silver online is also a good source) fold and steam-iron it flat and compact.

+ over the calf length navy or navy patterned socks.

+ necktie-- depends on the actual color of the navy suit, i like to match mine pretty close (the stripes or pattern in the tie). however, here are some ideas from online:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWOT-BATTISONI-N...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-90-MENS-SILK...QQcmdZViewItem

this one might be just the thing, and you could wear either a white or pink shirt with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TED-BAKER-100-SI...QQcmdZViewItem

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Are you guys joking? You're seriously recommending black shirts with a navy suit? He's going to a wedding, not a La Cosa Nostra meeting.
+1... no black with navy. Sheesh.

Foxx's recs are good, though I only like the Battistoni tie. The pink shirt is fine, cufflinks (if applicable) are fine.

French Cuff Consignment

Reaction score
Forgive me, but I am not sure I understand why you would want to wear a pink shirt, with a navy suit at night? Is it because they are from the same designer label? My advice, is keep it simple. The groom and the bride are the stars of the show, so I would recommend that you go with a white or possibly a light blue shirt. Then select a tie that has some subtle zing, but that will match or accent your boutonnière, your cufflinks and or any jewelry you might be wearing. Keep it simple; keep it sharp, but simple.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Misread the original post as though he was thinking of wearing a black shirt and not keen on the idea. A pocket square, however, is a good idea. Lavender still stands as first choice if he wishes to wear a bold-looking shirt.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko

I was shocked as well......hideous combination.

You can't go wrong with a white, very faint pink, or light blue shirt. Cufflinks are optional; I have never felt awkward wearing them on any occassion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads