1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Navy Hopsack Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NewYorkIslander, Nov 20, 2009.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

The idea that clothes or the desire to wear them isnt a function of class values is a fascinating separation of subject and object.

It is a function of many things, including that.

Your assertion, nevertheless, that an American man in the year 2009 wearing a dark blue, bespoke suit "signals" that he is a "sanitation worker" merely because it is in a hopsack rather than another worsted wool is absurd.

You are projecting a simple personal bias and opinion about fabrics (which might or might not be educated...in this case, I do not agree with you on the technical merits of hopsack) onto a larger culture and a class within it that does not have your compulsive fascination with the minutiae of differences among classic suiting fabrics. They really do not care about one solid dark blue worsted wool English fabric versus another. The low, the middle, or the high: none care at such diminutive levels of distinction. Really.

Why indignify yourself by embellishing a simple topic...fabrics...with ineffective attempts to aggrandize your opinion as some sort of keen social observation? If only they were keen in reality, maybe it would be tolerable, but your statements on clothes and culture come off with little intellectual content...and often, like in this thread, none.

I apologize for being a bit harsh. But there you have it.

I guess I am quixotically maintaining the hope that we could hear your thoughts on clothes without freshman year sociology and the thinly veiled Manton snipes. I suppose you would want to lose both, which I rather doubt to my disappointment.

- B

2. voxsartoria

Have you considered one of those faux tweeds in the Harrison's Glorious Twelfth bunch? Those cloths give the impression of texture without the roughness inherent in a real tweed, they also have a greater variety of colour than your standard suitings allowing you more opportunity to experiment with different looks, it's also a lot lighter than real tweed.

If I remember correctly, that book has some patterns without checks. AndrewRogers has photographs of that book up...examples include:

faux Donegal

Herringbone

I think it is a great three season fabric and good suggestion. You might face an upcharge with it with Ercole, though.

- B

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a charcoal hopsack in the works for days when I put out the trash.

4. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

You take out your own trash? [​IMG]

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Sounds about right.

6. voxsartoria

Are you having it cut as a Siren suit?

- B

7. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Have you considered one of those faux tweeds in the Harrison's Glorious Twelfth bunch? Those cloths give the impression of texture without the roughness inherent in a real tweed, they also have a greater variety of colour than your standard suitings allowing you more opportunity to experiment with different looks, it's also a lot lighter than real tweed. I think Voxsartoria has a SBPL from one of the cloths in this range.

I'll think about some others and get back as my time is at premium today.

I just ordered a pair of pants from the Minnis Worsted Allsport book which is very similar to the Glorious Twelfth. I was thinking the fabrics would make a very nice suit, sort of citified tweed. Maybe a blue donegal from one of those books would work.

8. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

When my son was five, we passed a garbage truck as I was driving him to kindergarten. He asked me why I couldn't be something more interesting, like a garbageman.

9. Film Noir Buff

When my son was five, we passed a garbage truck as I was driving him to kindergarten. He asked me why I couldn't be something more interesting, like a garbageman.
    Here's your chance to look like you're one even if you cant be one. Navy hopsack suit. A charcoal one will look more like a nurse's aid. [​IMG]

10. George

George Senior member

I just ordered a pair of pants from the Minnis Worsted Allsport book which is very similar to the Glorious Twelfth. I was thinking the fabrics would make a very nice suit, sort of citified tweed. Maybe a blue donegal from one of those books would work.

Yep, that's another one. Good call...!!!

11. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Here's your chance to look like you're one even if you cant be one. Navy hopsack suit. A charcoal one will look more like a nurse's aid. [​IMG]

At 17, my son is now used to being disappointed by me.

12. George

George Senior member

Anyway, 'Buff, what cloths would you suggest and why? Take a look at his blog to get an angle on his style.

13. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

The guys at the Hickey Freeman store in SF once suggested I get a suit in navy hopsack. They thought it was a pretty standard, traditional choice.

14. Film Noir Buff

The guys at the Hickey Freeman store in SF once suggested I get a suit in navy hopsack. They thought it was a pretty standard, traditional choice.
    Hopsack
    is sometimes used when industry people mean plain or panama weave. Actual hopsack is too stiff, open and textured for a good suit. Dont let that stop you from getting one as a matter of fact please let me know if you purchase one simply to spite me. It'll hurt a lot...from laughter.

15. Film Noir Buff

Anyway, 'Buff, what cloths would you suggest and why? Take a look at his blog to get an angle on his style.
    I'm done with that here. There's nothing in it for me and some of these guys are so incredibly confused, and fasten themselves onto the most curious of side issues, they're beyond help.

16. George

George Senior member

I'm done with that here. There's nothing in it for me and some of these guys are so incredibly confused, and fasten themselves onto the most curious of side issues, they're beyond help.

Well, if there wasn't anything in if for you, you wouldn't continue to post would you. [​IMG]

No, you just need to change tack a little.

You've got to much knowledge and experience to be allowed to get away, that easy [​IMG]

17. binge

binge Senior member

18. academe

academe Senior member

Drinks at the Sanitation Club? - B
    Indeed. [​IMG]

19. Film Noir Buff

Well, if there wasn't anything in if for you, you wouldn't continue to post would you. [​IMG] No, you just need to change tack a little. You've got to much knowledge and experience to be allowed to get away, that easy [​IMG]
    I'll continue to post about the things that amuse me. I do need to change my tack to compensate for the dishonesty of certain posters. Even though sanitation workers are known by everyone to be amazing people to emulate style wise, it's still curious that they need to be defended so vigorously. I imagine since I am the first person to suggest that you wouldn't want to dress like one, the spastic kinks of how to respond to such a shock haven't yet been worked out. I suppose I shouldve said a man in a hopsack suit looks like a doctor. There would have been less reaction and everyone knows they are equivalent in America. I realize now that someone has to buy fresco and hopsack and get it off the shelves so other, less informed people can buy the inferior, tissue paper fabrics. Good day sirs.

20. voxsartoria

Good day, sir.

Good day sirs.

Even Moo said goodbye only once.

- B