• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy DB with white button?

Francisco

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am very new here and really enjoy reading all the advices and suggestions given by all the people here.

I am planning to find a tailor to make a navy blue double breast blazer just like the one in the photo. Do you think it will be nice in white button? Please advice.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ That coat looks really bad. Are you sure that's what you want?

Anyway, a summer blazer in fresco or linen looks great with white mother of pearl buttons.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

That coat has the "correct" specs, but everything is somehow done wrong. The sleeves being longer than the coat is exhibit A.

Francisco

Reaction score
Thanks for the senior for your 2 cents.. I already own a navy SB hence was thinking of a DB.
If i make it like a linen material and coat longer than the sleeve? Will it looks better?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White buttons; sure, why not? It makes it more casual, but if you're OK with that, why not? I got a navy jacket with cream MOP earlier this year and it's a fun look.

That particular jacket though? I agree with the others - it looks ungainly. That's not because of the buttons though.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
White buttons; sure, why not? It makes it more casual, but if you're OK with that, why not? I got a navy jacket with cream MOP earlier this year and it's a fun look.

That particular jacket though? I agree with the others - it looks ungainly. That's not because of the buttons though.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, i intend to wear it in a more causal mode which mostly in jeans. Looks like i have to find other source to have a better idea to my new DB blazer.
smile.gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Anyway, a summer blazer in fresco or linen looks great with white mother of pearl buttons.

Just a quick question: do these mother of pearl buttons have a specific (colour) name?

jasjexiknoop.jpg

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard the term smoked MOP before.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a db in linen with white MoP buttons would like nice.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
I think getting a DB navy blazer is a great idea. Getting a DB navy blazer like that one is a terrible idea.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can see an example in WARYWRN post # 53760

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L
I heard the term smoked MOP before.

I heard that term too. I was wondering if this indeed was the smoked variety, and what smoked actually means in this context. Anyone?

pejsek

Reaction score
A little Riviera, perhaps, but a 4X2 three-patch with a little bit of mohair and ivory bone or corozo buttons could be a great look.

I don't care for mop (a bit too much of the nightclub most of the time). And, yes, the jacket in the picture is strange and mostly all wrong--certainly nothing to aspire to.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
You can see an example in WARYWRN post # 53760

Thanks for your enlightenment. Indeed it is quite nice and i will note down of the improvement mentioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads