• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Cotton Suit

gene

Reaction score
I'm looking for a "casual" suit, for "dressy"-optional events like college department theatre productions, the "fancy" martini bar (college town, not NYC), etc. How appropriate is a solid navy cotton suit for this purpose? Is this something that should only be worn in the summer, or can it be appropriate in the spring/fall? Is this a garment that I'll be ashamed to own in 3 years, because it's just a passing trend?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gene
I'm looking for a "casual" suit, for "dressy"-optional events like college department theatre productions, the "fancy" martini bar (college town, not NYC), etc. How appropriate is a solid navy cotton suit for this purpose? Is this something that should only be worn in the summer, or can it be appropriate in the spring/fall? Is this a garment that I'll be ashamed to own in 3 years, because it's just a passing trend?
As long as it's a classic cut, it's not a trendy item you'll be embarrased by in three years. A navy cotton suit is a classic wardrobe staple. Traditionally you'd only wear it in summer, but you certainly could wear it year-round if the weather is suitable. Still, I think a lightweight, casual-styled wool suit will prove more versatile. I don't really think of the cotton suit as "appropriate" - although of course it's perfectly fine if you're comfortable with how you like in it - for evening wear. JMHO, obviously. A cotton suit is also more likely to pick up and retain wrinkles, which is another reason it wouldn't be my first choice for the circumstances you have in mind.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton suits are for spring/summer(though I would wear them year round in CA,FL,AZ,etc..) and blue is a classic color. You can also wear the suitjacket as a separate paired with cotton trousers(khakis).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a navy cotton suit for your purposes. Down side to the color is, it gets shiny, quick. How seasonal it is depends on your locale as Tomasso mentioned above. If you opt for wool, get something with texture to make it more casual.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw a 46R Isaia Cotton Navy Pin in Saks today, around 800 after the 30% off , FYI............

pkincy

Reaction score
I think SOF has a few Corneliani blue navy cottons in odd sizes left for $74 marked down from $995.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads