• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Navy Cotton Suit

gene

Reaction score
I'm looking for a "casual" suit, for "dressy"-optional events like college department theatre productions, the "fancy" martini bar (college town, not NYC), etc. How appropriate is a solid navy cotton suit for this purpose? Is this something that should only be worn in the summer, or can it be appropriate in the spring/fall? Is this a garment that I'll be ashamed to own in 3 years, because it's just a passing trend?

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gene
I'm looking for a "casual" suit, for "dressy"-optional events like college department theatre productions, the "fancy" martini bar (college town, not NYC), etc. How appropriate is a solid navy cotton suit for this purpose? Is this something that should only be worn in the summer, or can it be appropriate in the spring/fall? Is this a garment that I'll be ashamed to own in 3 years, because it's just a passing trend?
As long as it's a classic cut, it's not a trendy item you'll be embarrased by in three years. A navy cotton suit is a classic wardrobe staple. Traditionally you'd only wear it in summer, but you certainly could wear it year-round if the weather is suitable. Still, I think a lightweight, casual-styled wool suit will prove more versatile. I don't really think of the cotton suit as "appropriate" - although of course it's perfectly fine if you're comfortable with how you like in it - for evening wear. JMHO, obviously. A cotton suit is also more likely to pick up and retain wrinkles, which is another reason it wouldn't be my first choice for the circumstances you have in mind.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton suits are for spring/summer(though I would wear them year round in CA,FL,AZ,etc..) and blue is a classic color. You can also wear the suitjacket as a separate paired with cotton trousers(khakis).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a navy cotton suit for your purposes. Down side to the color is, it gets shiny, quick. How seasonal it is depends on your locale as Tomasso mentioned above. If you opt for wool, get something with texture to make it more casual.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw a 46R Isaia Cotton Navy Pin in Saks today, around 800 after the 30% off , FYI............

pkincy

Reaction score
I think SOF has a few Corneliani blue navy cottons in odd sizes left for $74 marked down from $995.

Perry

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%