• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Chalkstripe Blazer

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
Are chalkstripes classic or this just a trend? There is a cashmere Chalkstripe blzaer I am interested in buying, but I want to know if I will be able to wear it 5 years from now without looking dated.

Also, what kind of pants and shoes could I wear it with? Thank you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dated. A blazer is never completely ouyt of style, but the casual pinstriped blazer with a hoodie, jeans, and boots have become the male equivalent of Sevne jeans, a puffy jacket, and Ugg boots. Unfortunate too, because the look is actually flattering on a lot of guys,

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
Then I must ask ... what is the next big thing? I'm guessing that by the time styles make it to Banana Republic (striped blazers were big over the holiday there), etc., that the trend is on the wane.

So, what is the smart shopper buying today?

I ask both out of curiosity and because I'm about to blow a good chunk of my annual bonus on clothes ...

Hoya

Brian SD

Reaction score
my vote for the "next big thing" are military jackets and linen/denim blazers. distressed is still in. preppy is in but i wont wear it. minimalism is of course very in right now at the moment, and jackets that do not show shirt cuff along with it. both of these i like very much. lighter tans/olives/beiges/warm grey for outerwear.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
More military stuff? How long can that be the next big thing?

I vote for slim tailored suits. That will be my next big thing anyway - I aspire to evolve to wearing proper clothes as much as possible. Not stuffy, but sharp.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blazer look, but replace the blazer with a cardigan. Not the flimsly merino wool one that your granddad wears during the holidays, but a chunky cotton one, with big buttons.

They look great worn over a white v-neck tee, with distressed jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More military stuff? How long can that be the next big thing?

Military stuff that's not over the top is never completely out. Militar I think that dark jeans with minimal distressing or raw wash jeans (either skater cuts like Evisu and Corpus are making, or straight legs like APC and Earnest Sewn Filson and lots of GSTAR cuts) will be big for many coming seasons. Distressed is still good, but I see its popularity starting to wan with so many rich wannabees wearing True Religion, which has taken the distressed bootleg jean to its logical limit (too bad too, the company had potential coming out the wazoo - but then, so did Von Dutch). Low rise straight leg trousers. Look to Cloak for some good stuff. I see the blazer thing still going on, but more western/Americana, and less Preppy or Anglo inspired.

The blazer look, but replace the blazer with a cardigan. Not the flimsly merino wool one that your granddad wears during the holidays, but a chunky cotton one, with big buttons.

Cloak had the most a**kicking hooded oversized alpaca/wool cardigan with big antiqued crested buttons in their F/W 2003/2004 collection. My favorite piece from the entire season - and pretty much my only big splurge (quite proud of myself for that.) Yes, this is a good look. Sort of Morrisey without being too earnest and deep. Laid back Morrisey?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because I'm about to blow a good chunk of my annual bonus on clothes

Unless your bonus is really small, don't. Just buy cool stuff as in catches your eye throughout the year. If you try it all at one go, you'll miss the opportunity to do this, which is halfd the fun of shopping, and also inevitably end up with stuff that you'll never wear. I make it a point to never buy more than 2 pieces at a time, three if the third is a staple like a pair of jeans or sneakers, or an accessory like a belt or cufflinks.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make it a point to never buy more than 2 pieces at a time, three if the third is a staple like a pair of jeans or sneakers, or an accessory like a belt or cufflinks.
By your logic, I'd always be buying at least three items at once. Bad news.

On the Next Big Thing topic, I also think it's a shame that the Am. Jackass has pretty much taken over the blazer/hoodie/sharp jeans/boots ensemble, for the very reason that it's flattering to me as, say, a cardigan is not - course there's the question: is the Am. Ja. aping me, or am I an Am. Ja.? I've seen some really cool looking pieces (that Cloak slideshow no exception) that I just don't think I could pull off.

There's nothing new under the sun, but I do dig the western stuff - have since wearing levis western shirts was the indie-est back in high school. The Built By Wendy/Wrangler 47 stuff is pretty sweet.

Some military-inspired pieces are cool too, but again, there's the can-I-pull-it-off factor. I'm always a bigger fan of fall pieces, so we'll see what's up for F/W '05.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that dark jeans with minimal distressing or raw wash jeans (either skater cuts like Evisu and Corpus are making, or straight legs like APC and Earnest Sewn Filson and lots of GSTAR cuts) will be big for many coming seasons. Distressed is still good, but I see its popularity starting to wan with so many rich wannabees wearing True Religion, which has taken the distressed bootleg jean to its logical limit

Cloak had the most a**kicking hooded oversized alpaca/wool cardigan with big antiqued crested buttons in their F/W 2003/2004 collection. My favorite piece from the entire season - and pretty much my only big splurge (quite proud of myself for that.)
I picked up a pair of ES Filsons in September, and wear them about 3 times a weeks, I love them. During the same day, I picked up a pair of bootcut jeans as well. Needless to say, I haven't worn the bootcut ones once. They will eventually be returned if I get motivated.

Agreed True Religion. Their mistake was too much distressing and generous cuts. If they kept it slim and raw, (like Ernest Sewn), it would have been a different story.

You gotta post a pic of that cardigan... or at least a link. I'm crazy over these things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads