• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Boat Shoes. What color laces?

CTfam

Reaction score
I want a pair of boat shoes for summer days by the beach. I figure they are a good alternative to flip flops.

Navy looks sharp and I think it's a good contrast to my collection of brown shoes.

They offer brown or white laces.

Which do you prefer? The brown is safe, but the white with light soles looks good to me.

What brand do you prefer? I'm going to get these custom made in Bangkok. I can bring them pictures of anything.

I will wear these with khaki pants and shorts. Thanks!

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown leather like these from Oak St. Bootmakers:

CTfam

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Those look nice. I never really liked boat shoes until I tried them on. Super comfortable and they look good.

What's the general consensus on when to wear them? I was thinking only with khaki pants/ shorts close to the beach.

90% of the time I'm a five minute walk to the ocean. Most people wear flip flops here. But I rarely wear shorts and I hate sandals.

I was told boat shoes don't go with jeans so I'm leaning towards navy to go with khakis.

Last edited:

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
I'd only wear those with shorts. If it's not warm enough for shorts, the boat shoes shouldn't be brought out, I believe. I'd also consider a bright tan, yellow or even whitish lacing.

Last edited:

CTfam

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. OK so boat shoes are no good with pants... I have a pair of penny loafers on the way so I can always rock those with my pants.

I don't wear shorts much... But when I do, I'd like something a step up from flip flops. Penny loafers seem too formal for shorts. People do it, but I'm not a fan of that look. Shoes with heels look out of place with shorts IMO.

Still torn on the colors... If I buy off the rack they are $75. Custom made are $130. If I go custom I can probably get several pairs of laces. Problem solved! But the cheaper ones look and feel great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads