• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blue Windowpane Odd Jacket

tdial

Reaction score
I just had my second fitting for a navy blue odd jacket that has a light blue windowpane pattern. I'd guess the panes are squares of about 1.5 inches or so.

As I was standing there getting fitted and happy at how great the jacket looked, I realized that I don't quite have a great feel for what one can wear with it.

Do you all have any ideas about what looks good with this kind of jacket? Tie patterns? Trousers? Shirt combinations?

Guess I should have thought about that before I pulled the trigger...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Trousers: mid gray flannel or dark gray worsted.  Brown maybe; I'd have to see it.  Possibly tan or olive gabardine.  I'd stick with solids.

Shirts and ties: so many possibilities.  The louder the coat, the quieter shirt and tie shold be.  Make at least one a solid.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a navy wool windowpane jacket I purchased recently from A Harris. Note that the windowpane is gray and is very subtle. I don't mind how A Harris displays the jacket, even though he uses the same display for other items (but I'd make the tie solid navy and not black). http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....MEWN:IT I almost always wear a solid blue royal oxford shirt with sport jackets togther with mid-gray flannels. I pair this jacket with a navy ground club tie with distinct gray figures. Or an Hermes tie with a distinct gray "chain" figure on it. Small tie patterns seem to get lost with the large windowpane. Black or dark brown loafers. You might substitute blue figures for gray to see how that looks with the blue windowpane. My 2 cents. Edit: I thought that a solid navy tie would look better than it actually did with this jacket-maybe a white shirt instead of blue would make it stand out more),

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SS, that's a great jacket. That's the first time I've heard that the "collezione" line of Luciano Barbera is made by Attolini. Interesting.

I agree with Manton's suggestions. I think one would wear such a coat more without a tie than with one; however, I could see wearing a tie with a very subtle pattern (dots, perhaps) as well as a plain light blue shirt.

A wide variety of plain slacks could go with it -- from jeans to all all shades of gray flannels.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind how A Harris displays the jacket, even though he uses the same display for other items (but I'd make the tie solid navy and not black).
LOL, it's amazing, a solid black black textured tie and very light blue shirt looks at least ok with just about EVERY tailored jacket known to man. That's why I've left it on the mannequin. You can wear the jacket you describe with just about anything, though I'd like it best with grey flannels in winter or medium grey worsted trousers in summer, with a blue shirt and bottle green tie.
That's the first time I've heard that the "collezione" line of Luciano Barbera is made by Attolini. Interesting.
Was made, Attolini was the first maker they used after they moved on from Saint Andrew's. The maker after Attolini is the one that fascinates me. The cut is/was incredible. Interestingly, I have heard from a couple of good sources that those particular jackets were made by Caraceni, most recently from Jim Hogan at Wilkes Bashford. Now that doesn't make sense in that I have never heard of Caraceni being involved with or owning a RTW factory, but it makes perfect sense in that the cut is textbook Caraceni... Obviously there is some missing information, which I will ferret out sooner or later
smile.gif
One possibility, it was suggested to me by a very knowledgeable gentleman that these jackets may be entry level Campagna, who bought the rights to use the Caraceni name from one of the family members. Perhaps that is the connection, but a mystery it remains. I have not yet identified the current maker of the Collezioni Sartoriale line. It is still a very nice garment, though a slight notch down in quality from previous iterations. The coats now have a long, lean silhouette with a narrower shoulder than I've ever seen on a Barbera before. These current coats don't fit me nearly as well
sad.gif

uriahheep

Reaction score
One possibility, it was suggested to me by a very knowledgeable gentleman that these jackets may be entry level Campagna, who bought the rights to use the Caraceni name from one of the family members. Perhaps that is the connection, but a mystery it remains.
I've thought Campagna. Campagna actually has a line of RTW clothing made by people directly employed by him. It's not out of the question that he has them make some private-label clothing for other companies as well. The Caraceni name used by Campagna is "Domenico Caraceni."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads