1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Navy blue trousers getting shiny in the seat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ennius, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Hi Gents,

I am thinking about getting a pair of bespoke trousers (one of my first) and just love navy blue and also already have too many gray trousers. I have looked at some cloth with the tailor and there are some wonderful navy blues. He cautioned me that navy blue will eventually turn shiny in the seat.

Any suggestions/guidance/experience here? I could go with charcoal - just want to get a nice all year pair of bespoke pants.

Thanks

2. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

No wisdom from SF?

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
  4. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Now thats SF wisdom. Thanks.

I have a toothbrush and vinegar so I am prepared, though my tailor would just roll his eyes if he knew my plans.

What type of wool do you use, that doesnt get shiny?

5. David Copeland

For trousers - cashmere. I was introduced to it at Nordstroms many years ago. There are internet sites that sell them for less - but I have yet to find the quality .

I am also a big fan of Australian Wool. See my thread here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/345054/3-piece-business-suits-back-in-fashion-for-2013

I live in Montana (although originally from Newport Beach, California where the shopping was great). So buying over the internet can be a challenge, but not with quality stores who offer a free shipping and free shipping satisfaction return.

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Well, as I understand, cashmere trousers wouldn't get shiny... because they would pill and wear through first, right?

7. David Copeland

Mine have never experience that.

Spring is upon us and I suspect a lot of the cashmere is off until next fall or winter. But you raise a very good question, and I suspect a phone call to Nordstroms may very well get you a qualified answer - because of their unconditional return guarantee they will know what works and will not work.

8. David Copeland

9. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Thanks for the insights.

Australian wool looks sweet