• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blue ties in width 9.5 cm?

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
Hello! Do you know any good tie brand wich produces nice silk tie in the witdh range of 9.5 cm. I want a navy blue solid tie with a structure to it. (not plain silk)

useless_username

Reaction score
Hello! Do you know any good tie brand wich produces nice silk tie in the witdh range of 9.5 cm. I want a navy blue solid tie with a structure to it. (not plain silk)

I'm not sure what you're after with 'structure'? Do you mean texture or weave? If so, have a look at Turnbull & Asser; a lot of textured navy ties (lace, herringbone, twill, etc) and their standard width is 9,5 cm. Also 9,5 cm grenadines. Sam Hober will make a tie to your exact specifications and they have a huge library of silks to choose from (don't be put off by the outdated website, the product and service are first class).

A navy tie is a basic item, you shouldn't have trouble finding one you like.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be difficult to find ties at that width. The
current style is 3.25-3.5 inches which is 8.25- 8.9 cm.
I prefer 9.5 cm. The easiest place to find "wide" ties
is on line. Of course Sam Hober will make you any
size, but you'll have to wait.

ClothesStudent

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're after with 'structure'? Do you mean texture or weave? If so, have a look at Turnbull & Asser; a lot of textured navy ties (lace, herringbone, twill, etc) and their standard width is 9,5 cm. Also 9,5 cm grenadines. Sam Hober will make a tie to your exact specifications and they have a huge library of silks to choose from (don't be put off by the outdated website, the product and service are first class).

A navy tie is a basic item, you shouldn't have trouble finding one you like.

With structure I mean a silk tie that has some volume to it if it makes sense. I've couple of silk ties, but some are thin as paper and some are a bit thicker. I do own one purple tie with paisly patterns from turnbull & asser with 8.5 cm width wich is a really nice tie. However I prefer 9.5 cm. I will take a look at their 9.5 cm ones. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for I guess?

Are sam hober comparable to lets say Turnbull & asser?

It will be difficult to find ties at that width. The
current style is 3.25-3.5 inches which is 8.25- 8.9 cm.
I prefer 9.5 cm. The easiest place to find "wide" ties
is on line. Of course Sam Hober will make you any
size, but you'll have to wait.

Ye. Most of the ties seems to be a bit skinny. I think it looks way better with blazer/suit if you have them a wider. Are sam hober comparable to other luxury ties manufacturers?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Hober quality is outstanding. In addition, if you contact David Hober (Sam Hober is the name of the company, named after David’s daughter IIRC) he will work with you to come up with a tie with the properties you are looking for. would highly recommend.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are sam hober comparable to lets say Turnbull & asser?

Hover ties are as good or better than anything else you can buy. By that I mean they are top tier, along with a handful of other brands.

useless_username

Reaction score
Your quest for a tie with 'structure' (volume/thickness/fullness?) is not so much about the silk as the lining. The thickness of the lining determines how the tie feels and how it will knot. There are tie aficionados on this forum who can explain it better than I can.

I'd say Turnbull & Asser is medium thickness. 9,5 cm is their standard width.

Sam Hober ties have a great reputation on this forum and for a good reason. You get to choose from a huge range of fabrics, specify every detail if you wish (including width and lining), and the customer service is impeccable.

There are other brands that offer a bespoke service, e.g. Drakes and Shibumi Firenze.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regarding interlinings - we have many weights - but normally it is best to let us pick the weight and thickness and texture of your interlining as we have a good feeling for which fabrics work best with which interlinings.

But if you are certain that you want an interlining that is extra light or heavy we can do it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads