1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Navy Blazers and Buttons?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ralphandricky1967, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

2. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

• Double- or single-breasted;
    • Metal buttons;
    • side vents; and
    • ticket pocket (if possible)

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i dislike the whole gold buttons on navy blazer thing.

4. blackjack

blackjack Senior member

Another poster indicated metal buttons as "Smoked Silver"....

I own a navy blazer - single-breasted, double-vented, flap pockets, 3-buttons - with similar-looking flat pewter buttons. They are non-reflective and can even appear black depending on the angle of the light.

5. ferry1950

ferry1950 Well-Known Member

Had another blue blazer MTM two years ago. It has:
    Dual english style vent; three button roll; ticket pocket; functional cuff buttons; silver monogramed buttons both in front and cuffs from Ben Silver.
    Did a black one this year with the same treatment.

6. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

I know that it isn't the most popular look on here, but I do like classic look with a single vent and gold buttons. I recently purchased a navy blazer that was double vented with pewter buttons, and I'm quite fond of it.

7. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Senior member

It's not a real blazer unless it's navy, has glit buttons, is single-breasted, and carries the sartorial traditions of nautical attire. I'll have to side with the trad iGents on this one.

8. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member

It's not a real blazer unless it's navy, has glit buttons, is single-breasted, and carries the sartorial traditions of nautical attire. I'll have to side with the trad iGents on this one.

Bingo! +1

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The DB blazer is the true eidos of blazer. SB is a later corruption.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I've never seen a navy blazer with black buttons so just want to ask for your opion. I'd actually prefer navy enamel buttons in the same design (gold rim with a lion crest in the middle) but I can't find them either locally or online.

Go to www.bensonandclegg.com. They have just what you are looking for among their enamelled buttons. Nice people to deal with.

11. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

I purchased a navy blazer this year: single breasted, gold buttons, tailored fit. The look is traditional, but I agree with those who said that it should be that way with a navy blazer.

12. Mathew J

Mathew J Senior member

prefer silver or horn buttons, gold is too loud for me

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I don't generally like gold buttons on blazers. Enamelled, or another metal, yes. I also think the buttons should be quite hefty and not dainty. The DB in my signature actually has the kind of metal buttons I like.

I probably would prefer it for myself with a different insignia on the buttons, but in terms of the heft of the buttons, it's what I like. I own another DB blazer with enamelled buttons that give it a similar "purpose".