• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blazer

nycguy

Reaction score
I'm just wondering...what's the difference between the jacket of a navy suit and the "staple" navy blazer? To me, it seems more cost-friendly to just use the jacket. Feel free to enlighten me!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The main thing is the buttons. Suit jackets have buttons that closely reflect the color of the cloth. A classic blazer has metal buttons, brass being the most common.

The second difference is the weave. A navy suit is typically worsted or flannel, in a relatively smooth finish. Blazers tend to have more surface interest and look a little "rougher".

Third, a classic blazer is a shade lighter than a dark blue suit.

Finally, blazers are often detailed a bit differently. For instance, patch pockets are prefered by a lot of people.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are differences, and some of them are more clear than the others:

- Many blazers have gilt, silver, enamelled or other metal buttons. This is the main difference
- A few have embroidered club (or invented club) crests on the breast pocket
- Patch pockets are more common on blazers, although they can be found on many suits as well, of course
- Blazers can come in cloths that are quite a bit rougher
- They can also have slightly different cuts, often being shorter

To add to the incoherence, there's also a somewhat obscure historical difference between single- and double-breasted blazers, to do with which types of clubs had single-breasted ones, whereas the double-breasted blazers are supposed to be descended from a naval uniform. And then there's the caricature-ish English rowing blazer, with white or coloured edging on lapels, quarters and pockets, or with bold stripes all over.

There are big differences between countries i how blazers are used and looked upon: The English tend to think of them as something for schoolboys and old middle-class men, at least outside of a clubby context, whereas Americans see them more or less as the core of Trad dressing.

In southern Europe, particularly France or Italy, navy separate jackets with regular buttons are worn for business frequently. In northern Europe, I think the attitude is more mid-atlantic; blazers are more common, and more liked, than in the UK, but less so than in the US.

I think an odd navy jacket, whether it's bought as an odd jacket or is what's left of a suit, is extremely versatile. If you want to use it like a blazer, you'll probably be best off with a jacket with no discernible pattern in the cloth, i.e. no stripes, weaves etc. That said, I have a navy suit with a slight herringbone weave in the cloth, and I like to wear it with jeans or grey odd trousers. I also have a full-on navy double-breasted blazer with antique military buttons that I had gold-plated. (Daks, very pinched in the waist, tight-fitting and short.) I almost never wear it.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh - good to see we wrote more or less the same thing, Manton.
smile.gif
It's just that my English gets more long-winded and stilted when I'm tired.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads