• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer. Stylish, or... safe?

Reaction score
I know every guy's supposed to own one, and I do, but every time I put it on I can't help feeling like a real estate agent, or Thurston Howell III. Just a simple, wool blazer with darker buttons (vs brass) but can't seem to get it looking like anything other than some kind of uniform.

Anyone with me on this?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ding Ding.

Yes. The entire argument for the versatility of the navy blazer rests with the fact that it is a uniform in a sense for the "gentleman." Your instincts are right, in my opinion. I feel the same way when it comes to the standard solid navy blazer with or without brass buttons--that whole thing about changing the buttons to make it less droll never convinces me.

Then again, when a look with a solid navy blazer is pulled off, it exudes an understated elegance.

This is what I prefer, something like this: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...p:ReferralView

I like having a subtle pattern in sport coats, so that there is absolutely no doubt about whether you are dressed in a sport coat or you are dressed in a uniform getting ready to lead people to their seats. Plus I have a thing for grayish blue colors.

SIMONTEMPLAR

Reaction score
Hi guys, I agree everybody's supposed to own one.

Anyone knows where to buy one online? Thanks

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
It's both stylish and safe.

myke

+1. It's hard to find something in my closet that doesn't go with my navy sports coat (I don't like brass buttons), and there are few situations in which I can't wear it.

fouisgras

Reaction score
I think safe, but I'm sure there are ones with more forward cuts

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
Myke -

Do you own one of these? The only reviews I have seen are on AAAC but I don't trust the product specific reviews over there.

Why not? I've read the long thread about the Anderson-Little blazer over on AAAC, and many of the testimonials are by regular guys, not product placement ads.

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
+1. It's hard to find something in my closet that doesn't go with my navy sports coat (I don't like brass buttons), and there are few situations in which I can't wear it.

Why not brass buttons? Isn't that what distinguishes the navy blazer from all others?

Is it just trendy to go with dark buttons sort of like flat front pants vs pleats? I think it will revert back to traditional brass in a couple of years.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Why not? I've read the long thread about the Anderson-Little blazer over on AAAC, and many of the testimonials are by regular guys, not product placement ads.

I must admit that I haven't read that thread in a while, but last time I did it was a few pages long. I am a little spooked because of what I have learned about Andy's endorsement being fairly easily purchased. Also, from my time spent looking at that site, once Andy backs something everyone else thinks it is the bee's knees and goes on about how great it is. I am assuredly being too cynical. I just thought I would see if anyone over is SF had any experience with an AL blazer.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say both, it is a staple of any mans wardrobe to have a navy blazer but since it is also just a solid navy jacket that makes it safe as well.

VictorJB

Reaction score
A Navy Blazer is always going to be a safe piece of clothing in your wardrobe. This can be worn with anything; jeans and a button down, slacks and a button down, or with a polo and khakis. There are tons of different ways you can wear a navy blazer its considered a classic for a reason. But there can always be trendy navy blazers with excess stuff on them to give it a more "stylish" look but in my opinon I would go with a plain blazer, with a pattern if desired.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to wear mine, although it fits very nice. I usually go for a lighter color blue sport coat with a subtle check to it. A solid nave blazer with brass buttons just feels more like a uniform or something and older person would wear. I mostly use it for occasions like a classical music concert where it doesn't stand out too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads