• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy blazer help

as22

Reaction score
I need to buy a first navy blazer for work, and wanted to see if someone could help. If you're 6'2, do you definitely wear a L?

My suit is a 42L, and fits alright. It was my first suit, so it was tailored by the salesman. The length is 32" from bottom of collar. Chest is 42", Waist is 40", Sleeve is 26". The reason I ask is that I was trying to decide between these navy blazers. I'm not in a rush to get one, but they seem like good deals.

Southwick Navy Twill 42R (might be too short)
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...l-For-Men.html
Southwick Navy Worsted 42L (but don't like center vent)
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...R-For-Men.html
Oxxford Navy 43 (sizing may be too small)
http://cgi.ebay.com/OXXFORD-Gotham-J...em230078612814
HSF Navy 42L (Is this comparable to Southwick?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/HART-SCHAFFNER-M...em200069305881

My 42L jacket which is 32" long goes 2" below seat. The guideline of half the measurement from the bottom of the collar to the floor is about 32" for me.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by as22
I need to buy a first navy blazer for work, and wanted to see if someone could help. If you're 6'2, do you definitely wear a L? My suit is a 42L, and fits alright. It was my first suit, so it was tailored by the salesman. The length is 32" from bottom of collar. Chest is 42", Waist is 40", Sleeve is 26". The reason I ask is that I was trying to decide between these navy blazers. I'm not in a rush to get one, but they seem like good deals.
Welcome to the forum! It depends on your ape index, but I believe the average 6'2 person is just above the line for L. BTW, if you're on STP you likely already know this, but since it's your first post I'll mention: dept store salespeople are notorious for fitting a size up with sleeves that are too long - if you're not positive that your suit fits as it should, post a photo and we will gladly critique it.
devil.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Southwick makes good stuff, and Oxxford is quite renown for their top quality fabrics, construction, and detailing. I've not heard much about HSF here. I would avoid the second Southwick if I were you... the buttons look a bit tacky.

I too, think you should post some photos if possible.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Theory, but based on that picture, I'd stay away. The peaked lapel is a really odd shape, and I don't know what's going on with the fabric in the collar? The pics are terrible -- I don't know how people are able to sell stuff that way. I'm biased against eBay anyway, unless it's a seller people here can vouch for, so I'd stick with the STP options, which seem perfectly fine, assuming they fit you well enough to be made perfect with a slight nip and tuck from your tailor. I'm not crazy about gold buttons, but they are traditional -- and you can always change them.

as22

Reaction score
I have long arms and legs, but a relatively short torso. I think my wingspan is around 82"

I think I'll order the Southwick and return it if it's not so great, but like the Oxxford. The sizing seems strange with an 18" shoulder.

ezboy1000

Reaction score
I think it's dubious someone 6'2 would be anything but a tall. In saying that, in my past life working in suits I found most men think they're taller than they are. I can remember many occasions when clients would tell me, "you can't be 6'3 because I am 6'3 and you're much taller than I am". Anyway, I digress.

At 6'3 I can't imagine wearing a regular. For one, in a tall suit the rise of the pant is longer, which for me is an issue given my long legs and long...
bounce2.gif
. Nevermind. Point is, I think anyone above 6'1 is almost certainly a tall in suits, unless the particular cut of suit is longer than most regulars or there are other unique issues with that person's body (ie: long torso short legs, etc..). Furthermore, if the issue is the later I would think MTM is the route to choose. If one is cursed with pointed shoulders, large hips, ape arms, or any variation it is better to find the proper fit so to mitigate these bodily curses.

fastrunningmom

Reaction score
When I've purchased blazers off of STP for my husband, I've usually ordered a few styles in a few sizes and had my husband take them all to our (very good) tailor. He's had him try them all on, said, "Yes. No. Can make that fit. That collar will never be smooth, etc." For the samll amount extra you pay in shipping it's worth it and then you can return the rejects. That way you can compare styles/sizes/fabrics and see which one looks best on you, without wondering about the next size up/down.

STP sells things out quickly enough that I never want to wait and see.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know this one is not the right size, but i woud look for a blazer in this style if you can find it. i think it would be a cool, modern interpretation of the navy blazer for the workplace, but certainly a classic at the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALFRED-DUNHI...QQcmdZViewItem

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
i know this one is not the right size, but i woud look for a blazer in this style if you can find it. i think it would be a cool, modern interpretation of the navy blazer for the workplace, but certainly a classic at the same time. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALFRED-DUNHI...QQcmdZViewItem
My untrained eye doesn't see what's "cool" and "modern" about that besides the relatively contemporary gorge and button stance?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just that it is more of an italian cut shoulder, 3 button instead of two with double vents. i guess it's more classic than modern, but still very cool and elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads