• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Navy Blazer - Bladen vs Brooks Bros

bd10

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I am on the hunt for a classic navy blazer, no frills, just old school, and it'll be my first one. Been to a few outfitters here in London incl. Hackett, Boss, Cordings, and the fit was just not right. But since Benson & Clegg is around the corner, I popped by (always admiring their cufflinks), and hey, their Bladen-made blazer fitted me very well. Perhaps 1 cm on the arms, but otherwise, spot on!

While it may not be a fair comparison given the difference in price, I went by Brooks Brothers. (Cordings, Boss and Hackett did not convince). Their navy blazers are quite something. Completely different. For a start the material is way softer, the lining feels quite luxurious. But to be fair Brooks are asking for a steep premium to the Blade-made blazer (580 vs 330 Sterling). The Blade blazer made from 100 pct merino wool whereas Brooks Bros is using natural stretch wool by Loro Piana.

Here are the 2 contenders:

Blade sold through B&C:
http://www.bladentailoring.com/products/Wymondham-Blazer-(B2330).html

Brooks:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Three-Button-Sack-1818-Blazer/793M,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_793M_Color=NAVY&contentpos=14&cgid=0217

- How would you regard the made quality of Blade blazers?
- Is the premium of Brooks Bros justified relative to Blade?
- Is Brooks trading off its name? (much like Boss it seems. I had a look at one of their blazers and I found the wool quite cheap even compared to Blade).
- Where else could I go (London ideally, forgoing bespoke).

Many thanks,

B

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%