• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blazer and trouser, but avoiding security guard look?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Good BROWN shoes... most important.

Get a striped tie. Regiment stripes maybe...

Pocket square.

Clothes that fit and don't look like they have been issued by your employer.

And finally, ditch the white shirt and wear either a light blue or striped shirt.

I wore this list of items yesterday. I rarely wear an odd jacket or blazer, but yesterday I was in the mood for it.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Good BROWN shoes... most important.

Get a striped tie. Regiment stripes maybe...

Pocket square.

Clothes that fit and don't look like they have been issued by your employer.

And finally, ditch the white shirt and wear either a light blue or striped shirt.

That should ensure nobody comes to you and asks for directions to the rest rooms.
laugh.gif

Yes. These things and lighter gray (vs. charcoal) flannels help, too.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also try whipcord and cavalry twill trousers in tan, light grey to add some texture to the ensemble.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all excellent suggestions-- any additional photo examples? I especially like the idea of twill/ whipcord trousers, sort of unexpected and out of the ordinary.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of RL tan Herringbone flannel pants to wear with my blazer. It'll be a nice alternative to my gray and charcoal flannels.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
lol .. good thing i am bored at home and randomly popped into this thread.

yes - 15 miles on the bike every lunch hour ... down 40lbs since March. trying to lose 10 more hopefully ... but its become really hard.

anyway, back to foxx's question - i think the quality of shoes, a dashing tie and a ps will dispel any notions. most security guards i see wear ill fitting jackets anyways, so as long as the jacket fits well, you are half way there.

btw - sounds like you have the perfect recipe for a perfect blazer ... this one here has all that except it has a single vent .. drives me nuts sometimes, but the patch pockets, natural shoulder and fit makes up for it. i might get one done with side vents sometime next year.

worship.gif

w.mj

Reaction score
I really enjoy the blue blazer and grey slacks combination, but am in my 20s, so I try to twist it a bit. Last weekend I wore a slim blue blazer, grey sweater, dark grey knit tie, and a white shirt on top with a pair of slimmed grey wool trousers tucked into high brown RL boots on the bottom. It had (I hope) a kind of trad meets paratrooper look. Traditionalists may recoil in horror and it certainly wouldn't work for anyone older than about 30, but I think it went over pretty well and it's an idea for younger people.

laphroaig

Reaction score
I wear the navy blazer & charcoal trouser combination occasionally too. It is also one of the very few combinations that received a compliment. I think it went something like, "You'll be better dressed than your boss."

I don't have high standards so to me that was a compliment. Although I'm not sure if this person thought I work in security. I'm certain they have never met my boss.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I totally don't get the clothing message board association of navy blazers with security guards. Just avoid asking folks for their ID and wear a decent shirt and/or tie with it and you'll be fine.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where i work it truely is the uniform of security guards. They typically look much much more put together then the staff.

One of the guards is a retired Police Officer and dresses very well, on the other hand we have one that hemmed his gray pants with a pair of scissors.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I posted awhile back, I was recently accosted as a security guard when I was wearing my green W.W.Chan blazer, brown A-E shoes, a puffed silk pocket square and I forget which tie. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Most people are oblivious to the nuances of menswear we set such store by,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads