• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blazer and Linen Off-white blazer for summer

compuccesory

Reaction score
Spier and Mackay?: https://www.spierandmackay.com/cream-linen.html

I wonder if I shouldn't just get a Navy Blazer linen incase I need it for a future job. I will be getting a navy blazer for non-summer months already. found this also, although I believe their more expensive lines would go on sale at some point: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regent-Fit-BrooksCool®-Blazer/MD00078,default,pd.html?dwvar_MD00078_Color=NAVY&contentpos=14&cgid=0218&cmp=AFC_US_CJ_Dappered_www.brooksbrothers.com_4025845&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=4025845&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.&cjeventid=9a184d74a4f511e9834100ab0a24060c

Just gonna point out that while I agree Indochino isn't super high quality for the price, the Indochino blazer is almost certainly 10 times better than the fused Brooks Brothers blazer you are linking here, even not considering the MTM aspect. An $80 Loro Piana Jacket from JCrew would be a far superior garment.

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
Just gonna point out that while I agree Indochino isn't super high quality for the price, the Indochino blazer is almost certainly 10 times better than the fused Brooks Brothers blazer you are linking here, even not considering the MTM aspect. An $80 Loro Piana Jacket from JCrew would be a far superior garment.
The J. Crew is,slim fit. I'm 5'9" and about 225 lbs. Wear a 48R. I suppose,it wouldn't be a good fit because of the slim fit. Nevermind found this: https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_catego...blazer-in-american-wool/F3898?color_name=navy. Is it Loro Piana as well? Nevermind, it's American wool. Still worth,it? Ah. Apparently Lori Piana purchased the mill responsible for this blazer in 1988.The jacket in the previous postslink is a suit jacket which I suppose I should not be looking for.

Last edited:

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
The above post is a comparison of a J.Crew Navy Blazer vs a Spier and Mackay Navy Sportcoat. I'm wondering which one you all would recommend? Thanks.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the construction quality is comparable but I am not a fan of the slim lapels on the J. Crew jackets. The Spier and Mackay jacket's proportions are much more classic IMO.

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
As in should I take the differences into consideration when deciding what to purchase? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The differences between a blazer and a navy sportcoat are probably not all that significant nowadays. The traditional blazer usually has metal buttons -- that's probably the most distinguishing characteristic of a blazer. Whichever you prefer, as long as it doesn't look like an orphaned suit jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads