• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy + Black = No match?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze

Wouldn't want to wear black pants ever personally.

You can wear black pants on for three reasons:

You wearing a dinner jacket, at a funeral or you are waiting tables.
smile.gif

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah the black pants thing really is a styleforum no-no. regular people won't mind but fashion gurus will.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
You can wear black pants on for three reasons:

You wearing a dinner jacket, at a funeral or you are waiting tables.
smile.gif

Yeah, but even if you are waiting tables I'd be inclined to break the rules with really dark charcoal
devil.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black and blue is not the best match when there are many other options out there. you can do it, but if you're so inclined, you really don't need to post on a forum asking if it's acceptable.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've put navy and black (and brown and black) on the list of combinations I would like to one day attempt when I have more confidence in my matching abilities. It sounds like you should do the same.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
black and blue is not the best match when there are many other options out there. you can do it, but if you're so inclined, you really don't need to post on a forum asking if it's acceptable.

didn't want to
wink.gif
. i merely did this at the urging of a lady friend.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I say no on navy + black and usually no on black pants + brown shoes. Grey/charcoal (or maybe dark green, or brown, or tan, ...) pants would solve your problem. But either way, this sounds like a pretty dull outfit. If you must wear the shoes and pants, change the sweater; if you must wear the sweater, change the pants; if you must wear the pants, change the shoes.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
okay, hit me: I'm just wearing blue jeans and a longsleeved black t-shirt.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I say no on navy + black and usually no on black pants + brown shoes.

Grey/charcoal (or maybe dark green, or brown, or tan, ...) pants would solve your problem. But either way, this sounds like a pretty dull outfit. If you must wear the shoes and pants, change the sweater; if you must wear the sweater, change the pants; if you must wear the pants, change the shoes.

+1

change the sweater (brighter)

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schnurretiger
okay, hit me: I'm just wearing blue jeans and a longsleeved black t-shirt.

Jeans are acceptable as long as you can tell they are jeans and not trousers. I wouldn't attempt blue and black with anything apart from jeans, or if the blue was really light, or if the black was grey.

TintinATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I say no on navy + black and usually no on black pants + brown shoes. Grey/charcoal (or maybe dark green, or brown, or tan, ...) pants would solve your problem. But either way, this sounds like a pretty dull outfit. If you must wear the shoes and pants, change the sweater; if you must wear the sweater, change the pants; if you must wear the pants, change the shoes.

+1

3stylelife

Reaction score
When you get down to it, every (yes, every) color combination can be made to look great. Some are a little harder than others though. With navy and black you're working against two things:

1. Navy and black are similar (more so if the navy is dark), and thus the intentionality of your color difference is potentially weakened (i.e. the dressing in the dark statement).

2. While navy and black can look excellent together, you're working against a sociological programming "navy doesn't go with black," that most people agree with to some extent. This means you'll have to produce a better result, in general, to impress others.

That said, it certainly can be done.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think Navy and black go absolutely well together but it requires a certain aesthetic. If it's a standard issue affair, chances are yea, they just won't look right next to each other.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't want to get into the whole black trouser thing (they suck!).

I just want to note that women have a different take on these things than we do. To them, black shoes and anything navy above is just wrong. They would have to wear either navy shoes, or conversely keep the black shoes but wear black clothes. They cannot be made to understand that it is different for men. So you can try patiently explaining this, and if that does not work, think of a cutting insult that will shut her up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads