• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nau (Eco Friendly Activewear and Outdoor Clothing)

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, the vice blazer is growing on me, it's a pretty cool jacket. maybe it's time to grow up.

Alec E

Reaction score
Ack--I don't like the Riding Jacket much. It's a bit... Kenneth Cole. Looked like a lab coat when I pulled it out of the bag. Becomes a blazer when I put it on, but the lapels seem rather huge. Looks better buttoned-up than I would have thought, military but not ridiculously so. Also, water repellent almost to the point of being waterproof. Didn't expect that degree of weather protection from it. I know now why Nau are relying less on wool, and more on polyester, for their outerwear. It's that they've got water repellent polyester licked.

Not such a snug fit as I would have thought, but snug enough...

No interior pocket large enough for a wallet. Oddly large, recessed area around the chest pocket's zipper.

Softer than my Purrin Jacket. Thin. Overall, I think I have too many objections to the styling.

The shale Bunny Goat Hoody I ordered is blue. Someone look at the color shale on their site and tell me if that looks like anything other than dark grey to you. In reality, it's a pale denim blue. Also, no zipper. It's a pullover. But there's an elevated bit of fabric down the center of the thing that looks, in pictures, just like there must be a zipper behind it.

This is the baggiest Nau piece I've yet seen, though their description does more or less indicate that.

The Shelter pant that I got for cycling in the rainier part of spring seems like it will be perfect. Looks amazing in profile. I was worried that it would look like equipment, or workout clothes. No way. Adjusts at the waist very nicely. The grid pattern that you see in close-up, on Nau's site, doesn't show at all, really. I'd been worried about that. You could wear these with almost anything. My only complaint is that it has a bit of a boot cut, but that's to be expected I guess.

I think two of the three are going back. The Riding Jacket isn't different enough, functionally, from my Purrin Jacket to justify its existence, and its styling, while different from the Purrin's, isn't up to the same standard. The Bunny Goat Hoody would make a nice indoor piece, which is partly why I got it, but I'd never wear something so sloppy outside. Not versatile enough to stay, then.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good review Alec -

I am sending back the urbane jacket and the purrin hoody. The urbane jacket is close, and a great deal, but it's still relatively expensive. It also does this weird bunchy thing with the piece of fabric that covers the buttons - they should have left the buttons exposed like a deck jacket, it would have been sweet (like it looks in the stock photo they have, except buttoned up). It looks better unbuttoned then buttoned.

For those that are interested, I asked for, and received measurements on the jackets I like in size L and XL. Any ideas on what is up with the giant shoulder length on the shelter jacket?

Pit to pit shoulder center back length

Large shelter 23 25 30 ½

Xl shelter 24 ½ 26 ½ 31 ½

Large shroud hoody 24 ½ 19 ½ 29 ¾

Xl shroud hoody 26 20 ½ 30 ¾

Large shroud jacket 23 17 ½ 29

Xl shroud jacket 24 ½ 18 ½ 30

Large urbane 23 ¾ 20 28 ¾

Xl urbane 25 ¼ 21 29 ¾

Large lightbeam 23 18 ¾ 29

Xl lightbeam 24 ½ 19 ¾ 30

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reviews, Alec E.
Originally Posted by Alec E
The shale Bunny Goat Hoody I ordered is blue. Someone look at the color shale on their site and tell me if that looks like anything other than dark grey to you. In reality, it's a pale denim blue. Also, no zipper. It's a pullover. But there's an elevated bit of fabric down the center of the thing that looks, in pictures, just like there must be a zipper behind it.
They no longer have the shale up, but I vaguely remember it being dark grey. They've used that center fabric seam detail on a few other pieces (like the dyad polo).
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
The urbane jacket [...] does this weird bunchy thing with the piece of fabric that covers the buttons - they should have left the buttons exposed like a deck jacket.
Totally agree with you. This is the one issue I have with mine. Unfortunately, from the preview pics I've seen so far they aren't changing the buttons on the Urbane for FW10.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep, if you are standing straight up with your back straight it looks great, if you lean forward it looks like you are busting out of the urbane.

The review of those shelter pants makes me think I may pick up a pair for cycling. I am definitely going with the vice blazer, i am waiting on measurements to place the order. Once I get them, I'll post in here.

rdev

Reaction score
Shale isn't up now, but I remember thinking it was a dark gray, although I thought there possibly could be a blue tint to it. I don't understand why they are so bad with the colors. It's not just online, before they put out the granite color in jackets, they told me it was a gray-green color, but I don't see any green in it. It's light gray.

The bunny goat is very comfortable, but really baggy. I kept mine for lounging, but I don't like wearing it outside.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vice blazer L/Xl measurements for those that may be interested:

Pit to pit shoulder center back

Large vice 22 ¾ 19 30 ¾

Xl vice 24 ¼ 20 31 ¾

Alec E

Reaction score
Any ideas on what is up with the giant shoulder length on the shelter jacket?

I believe they conceived of it primarily as a climbing jacket, hence also its short length. That shoulder length might be meant to facilitate reach.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gotcha, thanks alec. i am going to grab the vice blazer once nau refunds my cc for the shroud hoody. anyone have one of these yet? would like to hear how you like it.

dan_

Reaction score
gotcha, thanks alec. i am going to grab the vice blazer once nau refunds my cc for the shroud hoody. anyone have one of these yet? would like to hear how you like it.

I had an xl Vice in the caviar heather. I really liked the material and styling, but I had to send it back because the arms were too short and narrow.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dan! Thanks for helping out on your first post. do you have long/large arms? like you play tennis or something?

when i look at the pic i can sort of see what you mean, looks like the arms are cut slim lol.

dan_

Reaction score
Yeah, my arms are long (38" sleeves for dress shirts measured from middle of back) and they are a little above average in circumference from working out.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another S/S update. Mostly shirts and shorts for the guys. T
403m01_434_1_20.jpg
I could see it integrating well with Acne or Filippa K.
506m02_351_1_20.jpg
I like the fabric a lot, though I'm not too keen on the polo design.
205m01_232_2_20.jpg
It's like a mix between normal shorts and 3/4 trousers. 5/8? :p Longer, but hopefully slimmer.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got my vice blazer in the mail yesterday. i also picked up a profile fleece hoody as it was super cheap. Both of them fit slimly and nicely.

i wish the vb had a few more pockets on the inside (or at least one more) but that's about it. overall i am psyched about the jacket.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Fit pics if you get time -- proper ones, the way you'd actually wear it, not like on the site. :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads