• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nau (Eco Friendly Activewear and Outdoor Clothing)

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alec E
A crossover zipper looks out of place on pretty much anyone but a teenager, in my opinion (I just returned a Rebound Jacket), and it's simply a disaster when wearing the jacket unzipped--as I do the majority of time I'm wearing a jacket, probably. (As if in response to my earlier post, Nau sent out an email today in which their head designer carries on, with grad student pretentiousness, about the power of asymmetry.)
point taken. i've not tried the new one on, and i can see how the unzipped drape could be a dealbreaker.

as for their designer, all i can say is he's a mad genius. having worked with him, his passion and insight may not always come across in text, but he's responsible for a lot of things for brands like Arcteryx and Burton that have pushed outerwear design forward.

As for that fabric, it reminds me of what Patagonia used to ruin their bag collection.
we just disagree here, which is fine. i have one of those Patagonia totes, and I really like it for travel. but that's a whole other thread.

One last complaint: if Nau want to be a serious outerwear company, they should be able to answer the question when you ask for the fill weight of a down garment. Usually, they can't. I was told when last I asked that they don't keep such information on hand. Absurd, since fill power means nothing except in relation to fill weight.
I'm surprised by this. You're right about fill power/weight.

Alec E

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
as for their designer, all i can say is he's a mad genius.

If he designed the Dualist Jacket, agreed.

having worked with him, his passion and insight may not always come across in text, but he's responsible for a lot of things for brands like Arcteryx and Burton that have pushed outerwear design forward.
I'll confess to not having read the interview very attentively. It was in praise of a garment that makes my eyes bleed, so I knew I was not likely to have the most respectful reaction.

we just disagree here, which is fine. i have one of those Patagonia totes, and I really like it for travel. but that's a whole other thread.
I had that Single Shot myself. I think it looks OK, but just OK, in black. In every other color, less than OK. I do think that fabric, with that texture, made their larger bags look far too busy.

I'm surprised by this. You're right about fill power/weight.
The first time I asked about a fill weight, I was given the fill power as a reply. I then explained, to the person who usually answers these queries at Nau, the difference between fill power and fill weight. She thanked me and indicated that she hadn't known the difference. I later asked about two other pieces. The person who'd answered the first query replied that the designers were out that day, so she couldn't find out. She never followed up. A different rep answered my other query, sent around the same time, by simply saying that they didn't keep "a chart" of such information. I know they're a small operation, but they put enough emphasis on their down pieces last year that this took me aback.

All complaints aired, they're still my favorite clothing company at the moment. Outerwear is really all that interests me so far as fashion goes, and often enough they hit the mark.

rdev

Reaction score
A crossover zipper looks out of place on pretty much anyone but a teenager, in my opinion

I agree on the look, but I know some really devoted hikers who love crossover zippers (so they don't chafe their necks when fully zipped). But I don't think they are the target audience for Nau, they don't care about the aesthetics of clothing.

I like the fabric, and I'd consider the jacket if it didn't have the crossover zipper.

That stuff about the down fill is embarrassing.

Alec E

Reaction score
I gave the Blazing Jacket a thorough tryout and found its collar quite bothersome, beneath the chin and otherwise. I'm wearing the Shroud of Purrin Jacket today, zipped all the way up and buttoned at the top. The button taking care of the last bit of closure makes quite a difference. It's completely comfortable. So I don't think a crossover zipper is the best solution.

The Purrin Jacket also seems to be basically waterproof, rather than just water resistant. It doesn't have taped seams and whatnot, but you can hold the sleeve under a tap and the jet of water is totally deflected. This jacket also has the best placed (and most enormous, inside) hand pockets I think I've ever encountered.

As for down, I'm fed up with the fit of down jackets. I think I'm never buying another one. They're invariably box-shaped, it seems, no matter who makes them or how the company's other pieces are shaped.

JBG

Reaction score
Does anyone have a better picture or description of the "tar" color that can be had with the riding and vice jackets?

Thanks!

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man, i just received the shroud of purrin hoody and urbane jacket that i ordered because both were on deep sale - they are both HUGE.

just as an FYI, if you order, save yourself a return and order down a size. Wasn't expecting such vanity sizing for a garment company that is sleek and minimilist lol.

rdev

Reaction score
Weird, I haven't had sizing issues with them. They list small as 36-38, and the riding jacket in small fits like a 36.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've several things in a size Small -- shirts, a polo, jackets, including the Urbane -- and they've all felt true-to-size. Now, the cuts are generally looser than I prefer, but it does feel like I've sized correctly.

Alec E

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
man, i just received the shroud of purrin hoody and urbane jacket that i ordered because both were on deep sale - they are both HUGE. just as an FYI, if you order, save yourself a return and order down a size. Wasn't expecting such vanity sizing for a garment company that is sleek and minimilist lol.
I ordered a Shroud of Purrin Hoody last winter after a Nau rep listed it to me as one of their more slim garments. It had rather short sleeves and was very wide, though. Later I found an exchange in the comments of the Nau blog in which it was mentioned that the Purrin Hoody is cut differently from the Purrin Jacket--more "boxy." (You'd think they'd mention this in their item descriptions.) I now have the Purrin Jacket and it's certainly more the cut I expect from Nau, though not as slender as, for example, the Rebound Jacket. If you want a waterproof shell, and don't mind the crossover zipper, the Rebound Jacket might suit you well. Unfortunately it's pretty expensive. I looked hard at the Urbane and thought it looked rather bunched up in some spots, in some pictures. Decided against it. You may want to try the Riding Jacket. I have one on the way. It's listed as having a slim fit. It's just $200. For the record I'm 6 feet, 175, 42" chest, 32" waist.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, upon further reflection, the urbane is not SO huge, it is just boxy.

the purrin hoody is another matter. I am 6'3" 210 lbs, and the XL is HUGE. I mean it's really, really big, i can't imagine who it would possibly fit.

i am not sure how i feel about the technical outerwear meets blazer look of either the vice or the riding jacket. i also don't like having a jacket that is ostensibly for wearing when it's drizzling or rainy that doesn't have a hood (wearing glasses + rain jacket without a hood = kind of a pain).

I am thinking I will return the purrin hoody and pick up the shelter jacket in an L.

The lack of measurements on the site is odd, but I suppose I could email them for some help. also, their pictures make it so tough to see how something is going to look.

Alec E

Reaction score
I'll just warn you that everyone says the Shelter Jacket is really short. If you've ever seen any of Arc'teryx's serious climbing jackets, you know the cut, though I expect Nau will avoid the fat upper arms of Arc'teryx pieces.

I tend to wear an untucked shirt, so I personally hate such short outerwear.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
The lack of measurements on the site is odd, but I suppose I could email them for some help. also, their pictures make it so tough to see how something is going to look.

They are very good with measurement requests. We've well established here that their pictures suck.

BearCatCow

Reaction score
I have the riding jacket in medium and it fits true to size shoulder wise and is cut quite slim. Although like most of Nau's stuff the sleeves are long (to protect you from rain I think). Or maybe I just have short arms...

I really like the riding jacket actually, it plays its various roles well: softshell, water-resistance, casual blazer, and buttoning the collar for the riding coat look and insulation is pretty effective as well. But the collar is soft and not stiff. OTOH this probably prevents chafing. Overall it's nice looking and flexible in use.

Has anyone had experience with the transporter blazer? (now discontinued). It looked useful for my needs and I have a WTB listing for it but I have not seen it in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads