• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naturally non-iron

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have locked into a good pattern with the shirtmaker I've been using recently. The first couple of orders were all done in lesser fabrics b/c they were "tester" orders; now I am ready to go ahead and make an order for some shirts made from nice fabrics.

Generally speaking, what sort of shirtings will be wrinkle resistant? I hate non-iron shirts, but I also value their obvious benefit. It would be great if I could find a way to sort of meet in the middle with a quality shirting that won't wrinkle like mad. Something like a heavier twill for example. Do you guys have any suggestions? Remember, I'm looking for general guidance here, not the name of some specific fabric.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not wrinkle resistant but I find the more substantial twills and cloths with a detailed texture/weave are a little less prone/hide it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Heavy cotton twills and jaquards.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxford cloth

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Oxford cloth

One of the recent shirts I got from this guys is good PP Oxford. Its got a decent hand and is substantial as hell (I bet it will last forever), but it gets pretty wrinkly. For example, the area opposite my elbows looks like **** from simply tying my tie. Maybe this will mitigate as it ages and softens...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friendly bump. This is still pissing me off a bit...

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
One of the recent shirts I got from this guys is good PP Oxford. Its got a decent hand and is substantial as hell (I bet it will last forever), but it gets pretty wrinkly. For example, the area opposite my elbows looks like **** from simply tying my tie. Maybe this will mitigate as it ages and softens...

Don't bend your elbow!
there is nothing you can do otherwise. fabrics with some stretch may wrinkle less, but i don't really recommend it.
some fabrics are finsihed with more resins, so will wrinkle less.

Carl

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Don't bend your elbow!
there is nothing you can do otherwise. fabrics with some stretch may wrinkle less, but i don't really recommend it.
some fabrics are finsihed with more resins, so will wrinkle less.

Carl

Carl,

Am I correct to assume that the tendancy to wrinkle subsides a bit with washing and age? I have been an avid menswear fan for a couple of years now, but am just recently getting around to really concentrating on "fixing" my shirt collection. I've had a lot of non-irons in the past so I never had wrinkling issues. Of course, I am unable to live with the fermaldahyde any longer...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Liquid fabric softener seems to reduce that sort of wrinkling (like in the arms) somewhat. Also, some color patterns & textures just look less wrinkled. You can also get your shirt cut with a little more slack in the elbow.

That said I'd like to hear more about these resins and finishings. I do have a couple cotton shirts (actually they're both RLPL) that seem to resist arm-wrinkling much better than anything else in the closet, despite that they appear to be ordinary medium-weight broadcloths.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twills wrinkles less than broadcloth/poplin (ceteris paribus). Ditto for Oxford weaves, especially the beefier ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics