• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Natural oil" type of hair product?

graphicd

Reaction score
I like the idea of washing my hair every other day. I think it looks and feels better on the "off" days, and I don't like how it feels with all of the oils being stripped away on the "on" days.

It seems like my scalp is very active in producing oil, though (probably from shampooing every day for most of my life) and can quickly start feeling a bit too oily as the day wears on.

I'm wondering if there's a product that one could use that just adds a bit of that "natural oil" feel. Any suggestions?

dv_indian

Reaction score
You don't want to leave the oil in all day. You can apply it 30-60 min before taking a shower and then wash it off.

graphicd

Reaction score
I'm not using any product currently... I'm looking for something that tries to replicate some of the natural hair oils.

gamblor

Reaction score
I wash everyday then:

Add 2 drops Jojoba oil into a empty bottle and fill with water, shake well, and pour over head.

This gives it the just right extra texture and depth of some oil while being super clean. I think Jojoba oil is very close to some of the natural oils produced.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamblor
I wash everyday then:

Add 2 drops Jojoba oil into a empty bottle and fill with water, shake well, and pour over head.

This gives it the just right extra texture and depth of some oil while being super clean. I think Jojoba oil is very close to some of the natural oils produced.

Yep, jojoba oil is very close to the natural sebum our body produces. best facial moisturizer as well, just be cautious with how much you use, a little goes a long way.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash everyday then:

I've heard about jojoba oil as well.

Where do you get pure oil?

Also, do you do this thing in the shower then towel dry it?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use argan oil. I think there is some in the moroccan oil mentioned above as well.

gamblor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I've heard about jojoba oil as well.

Where do you get pure oil?

Also, do you do this thing in the shower then towel dry it?

Jojoba is pretty widely stocked now, $10 for a few ounces. Next to me Whole Foods and The Vitamin Shopp stock it.

Finding the right amount was key for me, going from 2 to 3 drops will make a noticeable difference. Adding it to a 10ounces of water avoids getting too much in one spot which can then only be removed with soap (shampoo).

After, I just towel dry and then style. I went though a lot of products but none would leave hair natural and nice to the touch. Gel is crunchy, wax is shiny, fiber is impossible to get out, etc.. It takes a haircut that has the hair fall naturally as the amount required to give a lot of hold will be too oily.

My dermatologist stopped me from using it on my face even though it does feel really good.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
good call on the jojoba . . . i use it for sheen, when i'm trying to get the greaser look down. i'm gonna try the water and jojoba mixture in a spray bottle trick once i get some more.

one product i use as my holy grail is Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom. it has jojoba in it. anyway, i have really thick and coarse hair and while my hair is still damp i run about a nickel to quarter size blob through my hair. it makes it soft, gives it some weight to smooth out the poofy-ness, and a bit of shine - best part is it doesn't feel like there's anything in my hair. i've been using the stuff for 7 years, have switched to other things, but they just aren't as good. when i wanna get more of a matted, lived in look i'll use a bit more after its dry. it's great by itself or used as a 'primer' to use before other products. if i want even more shine, i'll drop a bit of jojoba in it.

a $30 big bottle lasts me about 10 months.

i sound like a Kiehl's employee . . .

graphicd

Reaction score
I bought some jojoba oil from Trader Joe's. It was $6.99 for a 4oz. bottle.

Mixed a few small squirts with water (probably a 1:15 ratio) into a travel shampoo bottle. I think I might need to use even less oil next time, or at least apply less of the mixture. My hair feels a little too oily, but I think this could work.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash everyday then:

I never thought of diluting the oil, but it makes sense. Thanks.

I've used argan and Jojoba. Argan is a really dry oil and doesn't exhibit a "greasy" feel or look.

I'm thinking you can probably combine a few essential oils to a spray bottle of water and apply. But i claim to be no expert so my ignorant hyperbole is all my own.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
grapeseed oil
yardley english lavender brillante
body shop leave in conditioner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads