• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natural Leather/Water & Sweat stains

Guyute

Reaction score
Guys, I got rain and sweat stains all over my brand new belt from Unlucky.... what are my options for evening the color back out? I'm hoping to maintain the new/natural color of it for now, and rectify the situation if possible. Should I try to uniformly wet the whole thing with a damp sponge? Use saddle soap or some other gunk? Really disappointed in myself, I hope I'm able to make this look like new (or close) for now... These are how the blotches look... there are a bunch but I couldn't capture them all very well Thanks in advance
img0972beltstains.jpg

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think your best bet is to gently wash it with a bit of saddle soap on a damp cloth, then once is dries, perhaps treat it with mink oil. The natural color will not last long.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
don't use saddle soap on undyed veg-tan leather. it'll royally mess up the color (atleast in my experience)
get a sponge or cloth and wet the leather uniformly

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I really like the effect of rain drops on the leather, if you don't use something like Obenauf's, mink oil, etc. that will darken it a bit and give it some waterproofing

Guyute

Reaction score
thanks for advice... I dampened the whole thing with a sponge and it looks normal again... I'm going to do some reading on oils and saddle soap and may have more questions... but thanks again for now.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guyute
thanks for advice... I dampened the whole thing with a sponge and it looks normal again... I'm going to do some reading on oils and saddle soap and may have more questions... but thanks again for now.
honestly, don't even worry about it too much. the less you worry about your belt, the better it'll look. For example, I've spilt soy sauce, oil, and all sorts of crap on my veg-tan bag. I even had a bad cold and spat a huge loogie aiming for the garbage bin and it landed on my bag. to this day theres a massive stain visible whenever I lift the flap to open it. I just say it adds character

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Treat the belt with Filson boot oil or Lexol conditioner and you won't have this problem anymore. If you want an idea of how it looks go here for before and after pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads