National Hockey League 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jarude, Sep 5, 2013.

1. gort

gort Senior member

Yea Varlamov was anything but consistent when he played for us. NOW, he's doing great.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

about that Vanek/Moulson trade. Lots of risks for both teams. Sabres: will Moulson be able to connect with a player like he did with Tavares which helped him earn 3 30-goal seasons. Isles: can Vanek lift their goal scoring above and beyond what Moulson could contribute. Given the picks the Isles gave up, Vanek absolutely needs to out-produce Moulson.

3. gort

gort Senior member

Flames new jersey?

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

If Vanek doesn't re-sign, that's a huge fail for the Islanders. Buffalo should immediately flip Moulson rather than let his stock fall from playing on such an offensively challenged team. I don't think he pots 30/year without JT. I'm just surprised they didn't go for Miller, though... Nabokov wasn't anything special in the playoffs.

I don't mind the new Flames jersey. Its not great; the wordmark is kind of lazy, but hell anything beats the old horse head. Their old vintage white thirds were amazing so I'm kind of bummed they aren't back.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i'm not so sure of this, though it's certainly on my mind. Back when i was watching Moulson in college, he was just a rock. No matter what team or what situation, the guy could just product. With the Isles, he seemed to get all of his goals from within 5 feet of the blue paint, and all Ott or Hodgson really have to do is get the puck to that slot.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

In which case, is a first and second pick worth the improvement that Vanek brings over Moulson? :stirpot:

Imagine if the Isles bomb and miss the postseason and give up a top10 pick while Vanek walks in free agency. Yikes...

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I think the Isles overpaid in giving up the picks as the production between the two players isn't massively different. Def. not a 1st and a 2nd rounder different (i saw the comparative stats somewhere). Vanek can put up higher numbers while Moulson puts up nearly as high numbers while being a little more consistent.

but I agree on the "why not a goalie" problem. Doesn't make sense.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

....aaaand Moulson with two in the first two periods. Foot planted firmly in mouth.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

I'm not sure if Montreal looks awesome and Budaj is just beasting or NYR are just down on their luck. There didn't even look to be any fight in the Rangers calling for a kicking motion after that goal.

Does AV get the boot, or does he get a full season? I know there's been a lot of injuries but come on, they have to be better than this.

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Rangers offense sucked big time (3 of their top 6 are out), but the amount of bullshit calls in that game was awful. I'd be deflated if I had to deal with those calls as well, especially given the no-goal from JT Miller a few days ago in Philly.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

actually, I recall the games last year when Montreal was in town. Each was a complete and total snoozer, and this one was no exception. Ranger looked much different in Detroit on Saturday, Montreal's method is to simply make the game as slow and closed off as possible. It's boring as all hell.

12. gort

gort Senior member

Damn Ovi penalty shot choke that early in a game vs shitty Luongo. Feelsbadman.

13. gort

gort Senior member

You guys see Olesky lose his skate blade and try to hobble off looking like a puppy wearing a cast on slippery flooring?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

14. gort

gort Senior member

15. jarude

jarude Senior member