1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nashville: Prince's Hot Chicken

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ChicagoRon, May 27, 2008.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I was just daydreaming about Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, TN. Anybody else a fan? Have a hot chicken recipe?

2. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Went there several times as an undergrad. Best place to go after a night of drinking.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Yeah, then you can say it's not the alcohol that has you in the can the whole next morning!

4. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Yeah, then you can say it's not the alcohol that has you in the can the whole next morning!

hmmm.... very classy.....

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

hmmm.... very classy.....
    I thought about that when I typed it, but anyone who has eaten at Prince's understands the Love/Hate relationship. You just can't eat it before you fly or if you have early meetings the next day.

6. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I tried it once when I lived in Nashville the MILD was still too hot for me [​IMG]

7. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

The first time we went, my friend ordered the medium. The security guard just laughed and went to the back to change his order to mild. It's a good thing he did, too.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I usually get one medium and one hot. And I always regret the hot. I have a friend who has never ordered anything but the extra hot. I can't comprehend. She actually puts more hot sauce on it, but I think that only cools it off.

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

Came across this thread while searching the forum for Nashville restaurant recommendations.

Tried Prince's this weekend. Wait was insane (~90 minutes after order), and the place is a complete dump, but food was amazing. I went with the mild due to comments here and on Yelp. Will definitely step up to medium next time, but still excellent. Thanks for the post, Ron.

10. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Came across this thread while searching the forum for Nashville restaurant recommendations. Tried Prince's this weekend. Wait was insane (~90 minutes after order), and the place is a complete dump, but food was amazing. I went with the mild due to comments here and on Yelp. Will definitely step up to medium next time, but still excellent. Thanks for the post, Ron.
    Glad you liked it... RE: dump, I think I saw a car radio getting stolen in the parking lot last time I was there.... but whatcha gonna do ? And the wait is that long b/c they hand fry each piece of chicken to order in a cast iron skillet... which is serious work for high volume times. I used to go late Tuesday nights, so it was a little lighter.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Glad you liked it...

RE: dump, I think I saw a car radio getting stolen in the parking lot last time I was there.... but whatcha gonna do ?

And the wait is that long b/c they hand fry each piece of chicken to order in a cast iron skillet... which is serious work for high volume times. I used to go late Tuesday nights, so it was a little lighter.

The stolen radio would not surprise me. I was happy to see that my car was still where I left it upon finally receiving my order. In hindsight, I probably should have hidden the GPS.

Yelp reviewers all mentioned the wait, so it wasn't much of a surprise. I went at 3:00 PM hoping to get in between the lunch and dinner crowds, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Despite the above, can't wait to go back. Definitely the type of place you miss when you no longer live in the area.

12. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Senior member

I went last year during a business trip. It's possibly the best chicken I've ever eaten. Got the medium. It was hot enough, but I can't imagine putting down the extra hot.

Someone else I was with recommended Loveless Cafe for their chicken, so we also went there. It doesn't even hold a candle to Prince's.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

cool, I'll be in Nashville in Feb, hope to stop in.

14. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

cool, I'll be in Nashville in Feb, hope to stop in.
    Pro Tip: It's closed on Monday... I've messed that up a few times... and it's out of the way, so there's not really something else to get around there. Funny story... the first time I went, I got lost on the way. I stopped at a gas station, where I was going to ask for directions... I saw a guy in a car eating a chicken leg. I was going to knock on his window, thinking he must have gotten it at Prince's, until I got closer and noticed he was rolling a joint.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Pro Tip: It's closed on Monday... I've messed that up a few times... and it's out of the way, so there's not really something else to get around there.

Funny story... the first time I went, I got lost on the way. I stopped at a gas station, where I was going to ask for directions... I saw a guy in a car eating a chicken leg. I was going to knock on his window, thinking he must have gotten it at Prince's, until I got closer and noticed he was rolling a joint.

a joint the size of a chicken leg, that sounds like a serious joint.

thanks for the tip, I think it'll be on the weekend.

driving from chicago to orlando, way down through nashville way back through memphis

16. dcg

dcg Senior member

Ron - Have you found any of the sides to be worthwhile, or do you just go for the chicken?

I never knew plain white sandwich bread could be so delicious until I had the piece that they rested my chicken on.

17. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

The sides are there to cool you off [​IMG]

18. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Globe, you should also go to Las Paletas on 12th. "Gourmet popsicles" doesn't begin to do it justice.

19. Sweetness

Sweetness Active Member

I would HIGHLY recommend McDougal's Chicken in Hillsboro Village, right next to Vanderbilt.

I went there between two and three times a week for four years. Trust me - its phenomenal.

20. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I would HIGHLY recommend McDougal's Chicken in Hillsboro Village, right next to Vanderbilt.

I went there between two and three times a week for four years. Trust me - its phenomenal.

McDougal's is good, but it's not as unique as Prince's. Definitely a nicer ambiance, though.