1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NAS + Media Player

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Blackhood, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Ok, so I am moving into a new house. 5 students, all downloading and sharing films and TV shows.

I need something that is a media server, but I can also plug into a TV to watch the stuff in the living room. I assume this is reasonable simple, network a 2TB HDD (NAS or home made) and install WMC or something similar (probably freeware) and plug in an HDMI cable.

In theory this is possible, any one actually done it? Or know of products that could?

I'm reasonably good at networking and I've built a billions machines, but ideally I'd like a P'n'P solution because I'm lazy. Any thoughts SF?

2. M.D.

M.D. Well-Known Member

How about a NAS, or just a normal network drive with an Apple TV with PLEX or XBMC on it?

3. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

4. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

My rig:

This + This

Meets all criteria.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

That looks perfect, but I was hoping to get a device that can do both storage and playback. Not sure a decent quality device exists at this stage.

6. alex99

alex99 Senior member

What do you mean? My boxee box plays pretty much every format I've thrown at it in terms of movies and shows. It also streams media from youtube, hbo go, netflix, vudo, etc. I have it connected to an external 3 TB drive attached to a PC over gigabit ethernet in another room, but it streams wireless as well. Just connect your streamer to a single drive or NAS and you are good to go.

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Thats the bit I'd like to avoid. space, plug sockets, and the fact I move home every 6 months means I'd prefer one box which does the playing and the storing, rather than a NAS and a Boxee placed next to each other.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm sure they exist but the real issue is expansion. Would you rather buy something now, run out of space, and have to replace both or would you prefer to buy something you can grow and purchase the player separately? A few TB goes really fast once you start doing things in HD (i have a 15TB synology array and even that much goes fast).

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or