• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Narrow tie with Four-in-Hand looks awkward - different knot or different tie?

kkraemer

Reaction score
I always thought I preferred skinny ties over regular ones, but since I took a closer look at some suited pictures of mine, I just think it looks pretty awkward. The knot seems way too small for the collar (I never noticed this because when tying it, the collar of this particular shirt - which I most regularly wear when in need of a white shirt - lies flat, but tends to pop a bit up during the evening).

I'm now considering a Pratt knot, but would that make a big difference?

Another option would be to start wearing regular ties, but I've always felt they make me look old - in a non-good way (and I love this tie...).

Pictures related, forgive the general look of my attire and my face, it was getting late.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please use collar stays and i agree the knot does not look good

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kkraemer
I always thought I preferred skinny ties over regular ones, but since I took a closer look at some suited pictures of mine, I just think it looks pretty awkward. The knot seems way too small for the collar (I never noticed this because when tying it, the collar of this particular shirt - which I most regularly wear when in need of a white shirt - lies flat, but tends to pop a bit up during the evening).

I'm now considering a Pratt knot, but would that make a big difference?

Another option would be to start wearing regular ties, but I've always felt they make me look old - in a non-good way (and I love this tie...).

Pictures related, forgive the general look of my attire and my face, it was getting late.

use windsor knot

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
please use collar stays and i agree the knot does not look good

It looks like it is a hidden buttondown

J Darnielle

Reaction score
IMO The collar is just too wide for the tie. However, a Windsor would definitely make them a closer match.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
It looks like it is a hidden buttondown

+1. looks like snaps
eh.gif

That shirt, larger tie. Larger knots don't really work with slim ties IMHO.

I'd try a smaller collared shirt with slim tie/FIH.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ignore all these loofahs.

That knot rocks, as does your unkempt collar. Do not change a thing, and certainly, do not tie anything other than a four in hand when you have already perfected it.

If you want to see a physical (although not emotional) adult doing this knot properly, look at iammatt's posts...you do it the same way, and there is NO reason to change.

- B

kkraemer

Reaction score
Hmmm, ok. I don't know if this short allows for collar stays, it's currently at the cleaner's. Maybe someone has the same shirt and could tell me (http://www.emporioarmani.com/item/re...0/38113536GI)?

On the photo, it looks like the shirt isn't designed for stays, I've never thought about that, hmmm..

I've tried a Windsor, but it just looks huge on the skinny tie, so I've thought about the Pratt, because it's medium sized, apparently, but I've never done it, so I'd need some practice first.

kkraemer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Ignore all these loofahs.

That knot rocks, as does your unkempt collar. Do not change a thing, and certainly, do not tie anything other than a four in hand when you have already perfected it.

If you want to see a physical (although not emotional) adult doing this knot properly, look at iammatt's posts...you do it the same way, and there is NO reason to change.

- B

Now I'm not quite sure how far irony is developed on this forum...?

kkraemer

Reaction score
buckley.jpg

- B

Now that does not look so good to me.

Also, I'm probably 60 years younger than this man.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kkraemer
Now that does not look so good to me.

Also, I'm probably 60 years younger than this man.

He's dead.

I'm absolutely serious: do not **** with perfection. Most guys here couldn't pull off what you are doing if they went to to necktie school for six months.

- B

kkraemer

Reaction score
He's dead.

I'm absolutely serious: do not **** with perfection. Most guys here couldn't pull off what you are doing if they went to to necktie school for six months.

- B

I'm sorry.

Also, thanks. Still unsure, though. I think he pulls it off because he's old in that picture and probably couldn't care less about what people think. On me, it kind of looks like I can't tie a tie.

kkraemer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Please do not tell me you are either: an American; or live on planet earth. :-(

Well, sorry. I'm from Luxembourg. Who is he, then?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads