• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

narrow mens wedding band?

ruzzi

Reaction score
thinking of getting a thin plain wedding platinum band from cartier as my wedding band.

what's the narrowest a guy should go? 4mm? 3mm?

atila

Reaction score
Whatever you are comfortable with.

Generally, I never recommend platinum for a men's ring - it is a very soft metal and scratches easily.

Platinum is great, just not very practical for an every day ring.

Also, you can get whatever design it is that Cartier makes that you like, take it an independent jeweler, and they can have it made for you to 99% accuracy at 75% of the cost. We do custom designs all the time.

tennisguru

Reaction score
I can attest to the fact that platinum is very soft, I have my band refinished and repolished every year or so, otherwise it just ends up with a matte finish! Paladium seems to be all the rage over here at the moment.

cheers

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennisguru
I can attest to the fact that platinum is very soft, I have my band refinished and repolished every year or so, otherwise it just ends up with a matte finish! Paladium seems to be all the rage over here at the moment.

cheers

I find Paladium causes Rifts in the community here.

Not sure how many are nerdy enough for that joke.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
I got a 5mm palladium band when i got married last year. It's a matter of whether it works proportionally with your hand. I've got fairly long, slender fingers so I couldn't really go for a narrow or a thick band.

Also, if it's just a plain band there is absolutely no reason to go for Cartier. There's little design to it and noone will care that it's Cartier. Have a look around and talk to local jewellers and get them to make it for you. It'll be a lot cheaper and it's always nice to have something that was made specially for you.

As for the choice of metal, platinum is nicer than palladium but it's higer maintenance. My palladium ring is really pretty strong but it does still get scratched a little.

ruzzi

Reaction score
something like this? http://www.bridal.cartier.us/#/brida...0-wedding-band or http://www.bridal.cartier.us/#/brida...0-wedding-band i know these are 'bridal' collection... are the plain bands unisex though? the reason i was looking at cartier is that plain platinum rings in australia to my knowledge are around $1500-2000... same price as us pricing for cartier due to the aussie dollar, and i'm going to hk so would be hoping to pay approx us pricing for it. a aussie jewellers just aren't good value right now although i will have a quick look in the city this weekend. after reading the forums i dont want anything too fancy... seems everyone is saying plain and simple in a quality metal is the way to go. unless anyone else has any suggestions? note: i have asian hands, so on the slender side.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted a very narrow band and settled on 4mm. 3mm was comically small. I wouldn't advise going less than 4mm. Go to any jewelry store and just try on a different width bands. Don't worry about the style or metal. Just get a feel for what width you like.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand this talk about platinum not being suitable for everyday wear. Yes, it becomes matte due to scratching, but the beauty of it is that there is no metal loss, unlike with silver or gold. Hence, when you polish it and restore the shine, you don't lose anything. If you keep polishing other precious metals--which will all scratch and turn matte--they will noticeably wittle down.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the cost of polishing, do you do it annually?

Doesn't palladium require polishing as well?

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
What is the cost of polishing, do you do it annually?

Doesn't palladium require polishing as well?

I suppose it depends what sort of finish you want to keep on it. A polished finish will need polishing, but i went for a satin finish. I've had it about 6 months now and it's picked up a few little scratches that may resolve themselves into some sort of overall, slightly matte finish or they might eventually need polishing. That's the extent of my knowledge of the subject.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I find Paladium causes Rifts in the community here.
Not sure how many are nerdy enough for that joke.

I'm going to guess more than are willing to admit. I'm sure the true number would send a Chill down our spines. Maybe though our wayward Traveller comes from a World of Darkness and is unaware of such things.

atila

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with platinum, it's just a very soft metal and prone to getting 'beat up'.

If you buy a platinum ring with high polish (shiny), and you want to keep it looking that way, then expect to get it polished as often as 3-6 months (depending on how hard you are on them).

If you don't polish it, nothing will happen, it will just look worn/matte in finish. Like I said previously, it is really just a matter of not recommending platinum for every day wear but if you do decide to get a platinum ring and wear it every day, you will be fine.

As far as getting that Cartier band, I still simply cannot recommend that. Those prices are high for such thin bands. For you to say "aussie jewelers just aren't a good value right now" sounds ridiculous to me. I refuse to believe you cannot find someone who can make that exact ring at a fraction of the price.

Go visit reputable independent jewelers if you can find them, I'm sure you will be able to get the value you desire. And if you can't, then contact me, I can make that ring for you in 2 weeks, maybe less.

Anyways, good luck with your ring and your travels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads