• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Narrow end of tie face backwards? And, lift your collar to first put tie on?

zackhyde

Reaction score
When I tie my tie, the narrow end of the tie faces forwards the majority of the time. That is, it is oriented the same as the main part of the tie, with the seam to my chest.

However, about 20% of the time, it faces backwards. When that happens, the knot typically otherwise looks fine. Sometimes, everything is dialed in just about perfect except for that. The dimple is centered, the point of the main part is centered in my belt, everything is just so, but the narrow end faces backwards.

When I get a good knot, but with the narrow end facing backwards, I leave it like that.

Does this happen to other people? What do you do?

Also, when you first go to put your tie on, do you turn up the collar of your shirt? At what point do you button the top button?

I button all the buttons, including the top, and then I turn up the collar so it stands straight up. Then I drape the tie around my neck and flip the collar down and into place. Then I slide the tie to what I think will be the right place. Then I start tying. I think the knot I use is called a four-in-hand, but I don't know .

I am curious if other people handle the collar differently. Do you turn up your collar to get the tie on? Or do you thread it through some other way?

Just curious.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only way you'd get the narrow end backwards with a 4IH is if you start off with it backwards. When you start tying, make sure the narrow end hasn't flipped around on you.

I button all the buttons, tie the tie, flip the collar down, and do final adjustments.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might happen as you tighten the knot. Just twist the narrow end if it really bothers you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads