• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naples/Napoli Recommendations.

Mac

Reaction score
I'll preface my questions with the fact I know there's a bunch of threads on Naples and I have read a lot of them, but I'm hoping for a little more detail.

I'm going to Naples at the start of August with my brother and father and was wondering where we should stay? It doesn't have to be actually in Naples, and my dad was thinking about somewhere like Sorrento, but obviously I'd like to be nearer to Naples. We would like a nice hotel, somewhere clean that's not in too dodgy an area.

So, along with hotel recommendations, any places we should visit apart from the obvious shops (Rubinacci, Cappelli, etc)? Any hidden gems? What about restaurants? Really anything that would make my trip to Napoli more enjoyable?

Any other tips for having a safe and enjoyable trip (e.g. don't wear a watch—as they can supposedly slice them off one's wrist without one noticing.)

Cheers,
Mac.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't all tailors going to be vacationing in august? Seems like a bad timing to make a trip in August.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll preface my questions with the fact I know there's a bunch of threads on Naples and I have read a lot of them, but I'm hoping for a little more detail.

Any other tips for having a safe and enjoyable trip (e.g. don't wear a watch—as they can supposedly slice them off one's wrist without one noticing.)

Cheers,
Mac.

While crime in Naples is high it hasn't reached London levels.

Mac

Reaction score

Aren't all tailors going to be vacationing in august? Seems like a bad timing to make a trip in August.

I'm not having anything made up, just pick up a few ties/PS and eat some pizza. :slayer:

While crime in Naples is high it hasn't reached London levels.

Then it won't have reached Glasgow level, either. :rotflmao:

Last edited:

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife and I stayed in Grand Hotel Santa Lucia on Via Partenope - minutes away walking to all the shops you mentioned. Hotel and location comes highly recommended. As far as shopping goes, prior Napoli threads have all the information you may need. I'd suggest to start walking on Via Chiaia and see what gems you may discover. Cannot give you many food recommendations - Naples was one of the last stops on a long Italy trip and by the time we got there we were tired of Italian food. Definitely go to DiMatteo and order both margherita pizza and pizza fritta. As far as crime goes, at no time did we feel uncomfortable. Common sense in Napoli is the key.

banis

Reaction score
I once stayed two weeks on Ischia in August and visited Napoli several times. It was like a scene from western. Almost everything closed, no people in the streets. Definetely not the best time neither for shopping, nor for travelling. It is too hot at that time if the year. On Ischia and Capri there will be also lots of tourist, both Italians and foreigners.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We've always stayed at the Excelsior. Always a good experience.

Mac

Reaction score

I once stayed two weeks on Ischia in August and visited Napoli several times. It was like a scene from western. Almost everything closed, no people in the streets. Definetely not the best time neither for shopping, nor for travelling. It is too hot at that time if the year. On Ischia and Capri there will be also lots of tourist, both Italians and foreigners.

Thank God I started this thread. Can you imagine how disappointed I would have been if I had gone and nothing was open? I shall delay my trip until September then, most likely. Thank you.

Wife and I stayed in Grand Hotel Santa Lucia on Via Partenope - minutes away walking to all the shops you mentioned. Hotel and location comes highly recommended. As far as shopping goes, prior Napoli threads have all the information you may need. I'd suggest to start walking on Via Chiaia and see what gems you may discover. Cannot give you many food recommendations - Naples was one of the last stops on a long Italy trip and by the time we got there we were tired of Italian food. Definitely go to DiMatteo and order both margherita pizza and pizza fritta. As far as crime goes, at no time did we feel uncomfortable. Common sense in Napoli is the key.

Great information, thanks.

We've always stayed at the Excelsior. Always a good experience.

Thanks. Did you receive the PM I sent a few days ago regarding your old blog (as I heard it had some great posts regarding Naples)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads