• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naples + Milan: The Shopping Essentials

Lightbringer

Reaction score
So I have booked a brief trip to Naples and Milan in the middle of June and am seeking advice -- I have about 2 days in Naples and 3.5-4.5 days in Milan.

Here's the question: What should I do? What shops must I hit? Where should I stay? Where should I eat?

My constraints are as follows:

I am unlikely to be able to revisit anytime soon as my job will be picking up in July. This means that any tailor I want to form a relationship with must have an extensive traveling schedule -- I might well just stick to Mina.

I would like to spend as little as possible on housing. I am incredibly stingy on housing -- I will probably end up staying in a hostel of some sorts.

I am willing to spend considerably on food and shopping. My stinginess for housing reverses itself here.

My plans thus far involve visiting Mina, visiting the outlet malls in Milan (where is good?), and going for Neapolitan pizza. I would deeply appreciate some suggestions.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're absolutely fixed on those two cities then my biggest suggestion would be to invert the time you spend in each one. Others may disagree, but I find nothing particularly charming nor culturally compelling about Milan. The Golden Triangle has terrific shopping for women, less so for men IMO. I believe your visit will precede the summer sales, so suggest you head into Switzerland for the Foxtown outlets in Mendrisio. That being said, the Swiss franc is incredibly strong against the dollar at the moment so I'm not sure the deals will be that great. Naples, of course, has the islands of Capri and Ischia, and Pompeii is certainly worth a visit. Mina and Dino can of course give you the full download of local restaurants. Perhaps they can accompany you to Starita for pizza, where they took Parker and I last year.

For a first-time visit, I would strongly suggest that you consider either Florence or Rome in lieu of Milan. Florence of course has some gorgeous architecture, incredible museums, and the impressive culinary tradition of the Tuscany region. Sienna is a gorgeous town and a worthwhile day trip. For shopping, there's Liverano and Bemer among the artisans, then the outlet shopping center The Mall about a half hour outside the city.

Finally, you may already be aware, but Meridiana has a summertime nonstop service between JFK and Naples. I would take advantage of this and fly in and out of Naples, then train to your other destination. Hope this helps.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ What he said. I have never been to Naples, but Milan really isn't all that special.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
^ What he said. I have never been to Naples, but Milan really isn't all that special.

I'm mostly meeting a friend in Milan -- I wish I could invert the times, but that is how it works out on his schedule. 2.5 of my days there will be spent catching up.

So it's really a brief trip too if you clip that out. The Foxtown outlets are on my list, I shall have to see.

I'm actually launching from Singapore not JFK, alas, but it'll work out somehow
smile.gif

fox81

Reaction score
All lies, Milan is great. The fact that there are so few tourists compared to Florence etc is the added bonus. Thats not to say that Florence and Naples arent both great themselves.
If you find yourself with too much time, you can do a day trip to Como, its less than an hour by train.

I cant remember too many of the shopping highlights, but the Valextra outlet is worth a stop and hit up Gallo for socks/knit ties. Have a drink and snack during the appertivi hour too.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While in Milan last fall it was fun to stop by Al Bazar. The owner and one of the sales associates are two of the more photographed guys by the Satorialist. The shop has an excellent selection of Guy Rover shirts, lots of patterned tailored jackets and colorful sportswear. It would be the perfect place to pick up a few accessories or a shirt. I really liked Piombo. Their selection of stylish scarves and casual jackets was one of the best in Milan. Truly great service and and a very beautiful and comfortable setting in a nice courtyard. These won't take the place of what Mina provides but they will have fun things to suppiment your wardrobe.
P1040984.jpg

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I believe your visit will precede the summer sales, s

IIRC the Saldis this year should start July 2nd. But mid June some shop may be having pre-sale sales for people on their mailing lists.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll spend the next 4 days on the Italian Riviera (Cinque Terre) and plan to do some shopping in Milan on Monday.

Are the small shops open on Monday morning? Any chance for some sales, any outlets worth visiting near the golden triangle? Probably I'll do mostly window shopping, checking new (for me) brands available from Yoox, etc. Plan to visit at least Cucinelli, Piombo, Slowear, Rinascente.

Any suggestions welcomed.

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
I'll spend the next 4 days on the Italian Riviera (Cinque Terre) and plan to do some shopping in Milan on Monday.

Are the small shops open on Monday morning? Any chance for some sales, any outlets worth visiting near the golden triangle? Probably I'll do mostly window shopping, checking new (for me) brands available from Yoox, etc. Plan to visit at least Cucinelli, Piombo, Slowear, Rinascente.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cruciani, Valextra, 10 Corso Como

Artking3

Reaction score
Check out G Lorenzi in Milan for the best selection of cutlery.

david123

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice for Milan specific to the July sales? I'll be there for four days just after the sales start. I was planning 1 day at Serravalle, 1 in Como, and 2 more wandering around Milan to some of the places that have been suggested.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be back in Milan on July 2nd, first official day of the summer sales. Any suggestions for good deals on smart casual (Cucinelli, Loro Piana, Incotex, Boglioli, etc)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads