1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Namesake of Paul Stuart Dies

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ROI, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ROI

ROI Well-Known Member

from DNR

NEW YORK (November 23, 2004) - Services for Paul Ostrove, co-owner of Paul Stuart, will be held Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. at the Frank E. Campbell funeral home at 81st and Madison Ave. here. Ostrove, 73, died Sunday, Nov. 21 after a long battle with cancer. Paul Stuart, the upscale men's and women's specialty store, was founded in 1938 by Ralph Ostrove, Paul's father, and his cousin Norman. Ralph Ostrove named the store after his son, Paul Stuart Ostrove. Paul Ostrove started working at the store while in high school and officially entered the business in 1955 after graduating from Colby College and serving in the army for two years. Despite his illness, Ostrove remained active in the business"”merchandising and managing the tailored clothing operations"”until his death, a company spokesperson said. In addition to his merchandising duties, Ostrove was also an ambassador for the store, greeting customers on a first-name basis and always remembering their suit size. He was remembered fondly by shoppers and employees alike as "the sweet guy at the top of the stairs." Ostove's partner, Clifford Grodd, 80, chief executive officer of Paul Stuart, remains active in the business. Ostrove's son Michael is currently general merchandise manager. An avid golfer, squash player and skiier, Ostrove was an overseer for Colby College from 1994 to 2003, an active member of the Lymphoma Research Foundation, and a member of the North Shore Country Club in Glen Cove, N.Y. In addition to his son Michael, Ostrove is survived by his wife Estelle"”they would have celebrated their 50th anniversary in three weeks"”another son, David; a daughter, Gail Kantor; eight grandchildren, a sister, and several nieces and nephews. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Lymphoma Research Foundation, 111 Broadway, 19th floor, New York, N.Y. 10006. JEAN E. PALMIERI

2. arvi

arvi Senior Member

i read the obit in this morning paper and was deeply saddened..although i haven't been a paul stuart customer for decades the store introduced me to upscale traditional fashion..as a young man in my late teens and early 20s it was my go-to destination to see and buy(when i had the $) the finest in men's fashion.i can still recall the excitement of my first purchase of a southwick suit($105 at that time) or the southwick tuxedo(very special for that era) i purchased for my wedding..regardless of how small or big my purchase paul was always gracious and helpful..not to mention the fact that i was so impressed dealing with the son of the owner..