1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Name pre-SF regrettable purchases.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. deantran

deantran Member

anything from anchor blue. a claiborne polyester sport coat that doesn't fit.

2. Brogued

Brogued Senior member

Corrected grain shoes before I knew what that meant. "Why won't these scuffs buff out?"

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Pimp-tastic... I sort of like them too, but only under the right circumstances.
    [​IMG]

There are no right circumstances for such things....[​IMG]

4. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Black with red pinstripe Dolce & Gabbana ventless suit.

5. Trotsky1940

Trotsky1940 Active Member

When I was in Grad school I needed a new suit so I did what I had did for years.... went to Value City (Shitty) and bought a polyester suit with a fake sounding Italian name. Three button, and, of course, black, complete with pleated trousers. I still have it, and tried it on and realized just how terrible it fits.

I have lots of Old Navy crap, in fact I'm wearing a pair of ancient Old Navy Khakis right now and I have to admit, these things are better quality then the newer ones.

As for shirts, most of stuff was bought on sale in sizes that were too big, lots of it from Target and Kohls. Thank gods, that's changed now, but still.

I got my Tux for my wedding from Men's Warehouse and I honestly think I got a really good deal. Everything was well-maintained and was pretty well made. Every time I wear a Tux I compare it to the Men's Warehouse and nothing comes close for a hire tux.

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

A computer & Internet service.

7. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

I used to buy khakis and cotton/polyester Van Heusen dress shirts at Kohl's thinking they were decent quality.

8. pponu

pponu Member

Victim of the BOSS marketing machine

-Ill fitting Boss Black suit, double pleat
    - multiple pairs of Aldo ahoes

This is why I don't believe SA anymore as there just there to make a buck.

9. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

A pair of shoes from aldo - painful pieces of garbage, not worth the little I paid.
    A slew of dress shirts that either feel cheap or are made for a much shorter, fatter man.

10. Outlet_cherry_picker

Outlet_cherry_picker Well-Known Member

11. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

anything from anchor blue. a claiborne polyester sport coat that doesn't fit.

I have a Claiborne polyester suit, in black, and the jacket doesn't fit. I would say it was a big mistake but I got it at the thrift store for $20 so I can't be too sad. Your post made me think of it.

12. Looch

Looch Well-Known Member

I think probably the most important thing I have taken away from reading this forum fo far is that comprimising on fit/quality to get a bargain is not a bargain at all. I would now rather have 1 item that fit well than two cheaper items that don't or are poor quality. I'm gradually replacing my wardrobe now, and as hard as it is to be patient, everything I buy now is to fulfill a specific purpose and I only buy it if the fit and quality are perfect. If I can't afford it, I do without until I can, rather than lowering my (new-found) standards.

Well said.

13. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Victim of the BOSS marketing machine

-Ill fitting Boss Black suit, double pleat
    - multiple pairs of Aldo ahoes

This is why I don't believe SA anymore as there just there to make a buck.

Who makes Boss Black shoes ? I have seen personally and some models same too fashion forward but well done.

Their shirts are ok, but bad collars , not wide spreads.

14. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

A computer & Internet service.

[​IMG]

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

-A green label suit at $350 1999 dollars (3.2 Billion adj for inflation and difference in income)

-A men's wearhouse suit for $350 two years ago. En route to the airport for an apartment hunting trip, I got offered a next-day job interview in that same city. Since I hadn't packed for business, I didn't have a suit with me. Men's wearhouse was the only place I could buy a suit, and have the pants hemmed after 6pm, when I landed. It's absolutely hideous. I'll never wear it again, but I can't bear to throw it away.

-Kenneth Cole

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

-A green label suit at $350 1999 dollars (3.2 Billion adj for inflation and difference in income)

-A men's wearhouse suit for $350 two years ago. En route to the airport for an apartment hunting trip, I got offered a next-day job interview in that same city. Since I hadn't packed for business, I didn't have a suit with me. Men's wearhouse was the only place I could buy a suit, and have the pants hemmed after 6pm, when I landed. It's absolutely hideous. I'll never wear it again, but I can't bear to throw it away.

-Kenneth Cole

that's one expensive interview.

17. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything I ever purchased!
    Bad S&B Warehouse suits with shoulders far too big.
    Jeans from Target (everything from target!)

I've learned quite a bit from lurking on the forums... my wardrobe thanks all of you!

18. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Rockport Margin Shoes: [​IMG] WOOF!

19. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Any suit I ever purchased.

My ties.

Ald....o shoes.

A&F.

Ill fitting pants.

'Trendy' dress shirts.

Let's make this simple, essentially my entire wardrobe. Which is funny, because many of the looks here (and the workwear over in SW&D) are exactly the look I'm going for.

I shamelessly creep NewYorkRanger WAYWRNs as that's the look I'd like to eventually hit (although it's a bit dressier then what I'd need day-to-day, the look is there).

20. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Ill fitting because it is cheap. Brightly colored dress shirts. Plain satin cod pieces. SF taught me about the superiority of gingham ones.