• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name pre-SF regrettable purchases.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
stacyshoe2322621bg.jpg

I had a pair of these Stacy Adams in black fake crocodile. I thought they were awesome because they are leather or maybe artificial leather soles. The corrected grain leather cracked really badly at the sides after a couple months and the sole wore through. They were extremely stiff and painful. Didn't Stacy Adams used to make traditional dress shoes long ago?

Falstaff

Reaction score
i bought a pair of bostonian cap-toe bals two years ago. they are horribly uncomfortable and the first time i wore them i accidentally scraped the toe on a concrete step. this scraped off part of the surface of the corrected grain leather, leaving this ugly white mark that will never come out.

on the other hand, i bought a pair of johnston and murphy--another sf disapproved brand--blutchers, which although not stylish, are actually pretty comfortable and have held up well.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
two groups:

those who had a very conventional/sloppy style/boringly mainstream and baggy style that upgraded

those that wore ridiculous and unusual clothing that became more conventional

Lafayette

Reaction score
I purchased two pairs of Express "dress" trousers at full retail. I actually thought that I looked pretty damn sharp in them.

It is only after a bit of lurking at SF that I realize 1) Express are not worth the money at any price. 2) If you look good wearing Express clothing it is only because you're surrounded by slobs.

In (slight) defense of Express clothing: If someone's just getting started in their efforts to spiff up their slob image, and they don't have much funding to do it with, discount Express clothing (end of season or eBay type savings) isn't a bad way to go.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Falstaff
i bought a pair of bostonian cap-toe bals two years ago. they are horribly uncomfortable and the first time i wore them i accidentally scraped the toe on a concrete step. this scraped off part of the surface of the corrected grain leather, leaving this ugly white mark that will never come out.

on the other hand, i bought a pair of johnston and murphy--another sf disapproved brand--blutchers, which although not stylish, are actually pretty comfortable and have held up well.

I acquired a pair of J&M captoes (Melton model), c 3 BSF (Before StyleForum). I wore them before I discovered Allen Edmonds subsequently other even better shoes (AE is like a gateway drug). I ended up using the J&M's as wet weather shoes before I finally decided I could use my AE's as wet weather shoes instead. They still looked nice, despite being corrected grain leather, and I sold them to Red Light in Seattle for about 25 bucks. IMO J&M at a steep discount is not a terrible choice for people who don't want to buy nice shoes and rarely ever wear dress shoes.

EricE.

Reaction score
black shirts
(a black shirt with white pinstripes with a white collar and cuffs by strellson)

ed hardy jeans...
and a lot of ugly shoes (but who didnt?!)

i regret all of these purchases^^

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
Emanuel Ungaro, Jones NY suits from S&K. 4 Joseph Bank suits, some at $500 a piece, at least those were "signature gold." Ebayed them for about $100 a piece a while ago. Bachrach shirts and ties. Florsheim, Nunn Bush, and Johnston and Murphy shoes. Weird polyester blend Riley collar shirts that I used to think were cool, including one that was lime green.

I was wondering if anyone else had back experiences with Joseph Bank. I have found their clothes to be of terrible quality - unless I'm just extremely unlucky.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I was wondering if anyone else had back experiences with Joseph Bank. I have found their clothes to be of terrible quality - unless I'm just extremely unlucky.
nothing wrong with anything I own from them, save a tie that doesn't knot well and another that frayed a little bit. and I have a closet full of their wrinkle-free shirts, a suit, and a blazer.

smmea

Reaction score
before SF lots of fused suits - about 10 hugo boss black line which im not wearing
frown.gif
t dont know what to do with those

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
nothing wrong with anything I own from them, save a tie that doesn't knot well and another that frayed a little bit. and I have a closet full of their wrinkle-free shirts, a suit, and a blazer.

I have a pair of khakis that unraveled at the bottom of the cuff (not from scraping the ground or anything) and that thinned at the crease. I had a shirt that was off color - the store had left it in the sun. I had a polo shirt with loose threads in the placket.

Maybe just my bad luck there?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I have a pair of khakis that unraveled at the bottom of the cuff (not from scraping the ground or anything) and that thinned at the crease. I had a shirt that was off color - the store had left it in the sun. I had a polo shirt with loose threads in the placket.

Maybe just my bad luck there?

I've had good luck at Jos A Bank. Also if something goes wrong with something you purchased there they'll replace it.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
stacyshoe2322621bg.jpg

I had a pair of these Stacy Adams in black fake crocodile. I thought they were awesome because they are leather or maybe artificial leather soles. The corrected grain leather cracked really badly at the sides after a couple months and the sole wore through. They were extremely stiff and painful. Didn't Stacy Adams used to make traditional dress shoes long ago?

SA made good quality shoes before 1970.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads