• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naldini suits

sls

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Naldini suits?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Factory made fused suit, usually in current style in a nice fabric, you probably saw one on ebay advertised as a $2000 Genuine Naldini???

It has genuine fusing, genuine machine done pick stitching around the lapels...

It's a nice looking inexpensive suit. Don't pay more than $200 - you can often find them at Marshall's for $100-$150

armscye

Reaction score
Yes, the strong point of a Naldini is the fabric-- generally a 100s or 120s Biella-woven wool. Construction is largely machine, but the fusing interlayer is fairly thin. Sizing is rather generous, and they run long as well. I'd put a Naldini alongside pretty much any Armani (except a Baldessarani) or Boss.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the strong point of a Naldini is the fabric-- generally a 100s or 120s Biella-woven wool. Construction is largely machine, but the fusing interlayer is fairly thin. Sizing is rather generous, and they run long as well. I'd put a Naldini alongside pretty much any Armani (except a Baldessarani) or Boss.

Wheter you like GA at all, there is no justification for comparing these generic, boxy suits with the distinctive styling, drape, and fabrics of any of the Armani lines.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even Mani?
sarcasm.gif
koji

Brian SD

Reaction score
I live by early 90s Mani suits. You guys just don't know what real quality is
confused.gif

dietcookie

Reaction score
I live by early 90s Mani suits. You guys just don't know what real quality is
confused.gif
Dawg, you don't even know what real quality is. I was rolling in Perry Ellis suits not long ago. (true statement)

uriahheep

Reaction score
In my youth I was stylin' in Geoffrey Beene and Bill Blass. Fortunately that's not true.

armscye

Reaction score
I'll defend my comment comparing Naldini to Armani.

First, the cuts are not that different-- Armani cuts a broad, Scholte-style shoulder for any given size (in 44, their shoulder span runs 22 inches, as opposed to a typical industry size of about 20.5). But so does Naldini. The principal difference I see in the cuts is the more generous overall chest dimension in the Naldini, and the unfortunately larger upper arm diameter (correctable in either make). The Armani cut I have seen and tried still lacks upper chest "wrap", has the same billowy upper sleeve, and still has a low chest pocket after all these years.

Both suits are going to require a skilled tailor to fit most people optimally, so I fail to see the Armani advantage. They're both generously cut, good fabric, lightly fused suits with minimal handwork (as is the Boss). That's why I grouped them together.

The mere fact that those defending Armani have to explicitly exclude half of their product line tells me something: Armani is in fact the Italian version of RL: midgrade stuff with a high-grade veneer. RL zealots always defend RL with the same caveats, saying "Ralph Lauren is a brilliant design house, if you don't count Chaps, Polo, RL67, Lauren, Rough Wear, and all the other past and present crap." Yes, and GM makes great cars-- if we leave out everything but the Corvette and the Tahoe.

Rather than springing for a hideously overpriced, probably poorly altered $1000 Armani at some Collins Ave boutique, I would rather see a Style Forum reader buy the Naldini for $150, spend another $200 on tailoring, and have a suit that fits, wears for 5-6 years, and doesn't represent a marketing fraud. I'd probably first suggest that any savvy buyer look at a Samuelsohn or Corneliani, but that wasn't the question that was asked.

cllamont

Reaction score
Originally Posted by armscye
I'll defend my comment comparing Naldini to Armani.

First, the cuts are not that different-- Armani cuts a broad, Scholte-style shoulder for any given size (in 44, their shoulder span runs 22 inches, as opposed to a typical industry size of about 20.5). But so does Naldini. The principal difference I see in the cuts is the more generous overall chest dimension in the Naldini, and the unfortunately larger upper arm diameter (correctable in either make). The Armani cut I have seen and tried still lacks upper chest "wrap", has the same billowy upper sleeve, and still has a low chest pocket after all these years.

Both suits are going to require a skilled tailor to fit most people optimally, so I fail to see the Armani advantage. They're both generously cut, good fabric, lightly fused suits with minimal handwork (as is the Boss). That's why I grouped them together.

The mere fact that those defending Armani have to explicitly exclude half of their product line tells me something: Armani is in fact the Italian version of RL: midgrade stuff with a high-grade veneer. RL zealots always defend RL with the same caveats, saying "Ralph Lauren is a brilliant design house, if you don't count Chaps, Polo, RL67, Lauren, Rough Wear, and all the other past and present crap." Yes, and GM makes great cars-- if we leave out everything but the Corvette and the Tahoe.

Rather than springing for a hideously overpriced, probably poorly altered $1000 Armani at some Collins Ave boutique, I would rather see a Style Forum reader buy the Naldini for $150, spend another $200 on tailoring, and have a suit that fits, wears for 5-6 years, and doesn't represent a marketing fraud. I'd probably first suggest that any savvy buyer look at a Samuelsohn or Corneliani, but that wasn't the question that was asked.

Excellent analysis - wish I found this before I posted my $154 deal on a nice black Naldini. Just a bunch of knuckleheads responded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads