1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Naldini suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sls, Feb 19, 2005.

1. sls

sls New Member

Does anyone know anything about Naldini suits?

2. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

Factory made fused suit, usually in current style in a nice fabric, you probably saw one on ebay advertised as a $2000 Genuine Naldini???

It has genuine fusing, genuine machine done pick stitching around the lapels...

It's a nice looking inexpensive suit. Don't pay more than $200 - you can often find them at Marshall's for $100-$150

3. armscye

armscye Senior Member

Yes, the strong point of a Naldini is the fabric-- generally a 100s or 120s Biella-woven wool. Construction is largely machine, but the fusing interlayer is fairly thin. Sizing is rather generous, and they run long as well. I'd put a Naldini alongside pretty much any Armani (except a Baldessarani) or Boss.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Wheter you like GA at all, there is no justification for comparing these generic, boxy suits with the distinctive styling, drape, and fabrics of any of the Armani lines.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Even Mani? [​IMG] koji

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Fine, Mani. And A/X stuff too. But that is licensed crap, not even listed on the Giorgio Armani homepage - sort of the shame of the family hidden in the attic.

7. Thracozaag

Haha, very true.

koji

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I live by early 90s Mani suits. You guys just don't know what real quality is [​IMG]

9. dietcookie

dietcookie Senior Member

Dawg, you don't even know what real quality is. I was rolling in Perry Ellis suits not long ago. (true statement)

10. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior Member

In my youth I was stylin' in Geoffrey Beene and Bill Blass. Fortunately that's not true.

11. Thracozaag

My first "real" suit was a Mani.

koji

12. armscye

armscye Senior Member

I'll defend my comment comparing Naldini to Armani.

First, the cuts are not that different-- Armani cuts a broad, Scholte-style shoulder for any given size (in 44, their shoulder span runs 22 inches, as opposed to a typical industry size of about 20.5). But so does Naldini. The principal difference I see in the cuts is the more generous overall chest dimension in the Naldini, and the unfortunately larger upper arm diameter (correctable in either make). The Armani cut I have seen and tried still lacks upper chest "wrap", has the same billowy upper sleeve, and still has a low chest pocket after all these years.

Both suits are going to require a skilled tailor to fit most people optimally, so I fail to see the Armani advantage. They're both generously cut, good fabric, lightly fused suits with minimal handwork (as is the Boss). That's why I grouped them together.

The mere fact that those defending Armani have to explicitly exclude half of their product line tells me something: Armani is in fact the Italian version of RL: midgrade stuff with a high-grade veneer. RL zealots always defend RL with the same caveats, saying "Ralph Lauren is a brilliant design house, if you don't count Chaps, Polo, RL67, Lauren, Rough Wear, and all the other past and present crap." Yes, and GM makes great cars-- if we leave out everything but the Corvette and the Tahoe.

Rather than springing for a hideously overpriced, probably poorly altered $1000 Armani at some Collins Ave boutique, I would rather see a Style Forum reader buy the Naldini for $150, spend another $200 on tailoring, and have a suit that fits, wears for 5-6 years, and doesn't represent a marketing fraud. I'd probably first suggest that any savvy buyer look at a Samuelsohn or Corneliani, but that wasn't the question that was asked.

13. cllamont

cllamont Active Member

I'll defend my comment comparing Naldini to Armani.

First, the cuts are not that different-- Armani cuts a broad, Scholte-style shoulder for any given size (in 44, their shoulder span runs 22 inches, as opposed to a typical industry size of about 20.5). But so does Naldini. The principal difference I see in the cuts is the more generous overall chest dimension in the Naldini, and the unfortunately larger upper arm diameter (correctable in either make). The Armani cut I have seen and tried still lacks upper chest "wrap", has the same billowy upper sleeve, and still has a low chest pocket after all these years.

Both suits are going to require a skilled tailor to fit most people optimally, so I fail to see the Armani advantage. They're both generously cut, good fabric, lightly fused suits with minimal handwork (as is the Boss). That's why I grouped them together.

The mere fact that those defending Armani have to explicitly exclude half of their product line tells me something: Armani is in fact the Italian version of RL: midgrade stuff with a high-grade veneer. RL zealots always defend RL with the same caveats, saying "Ralph Lauren is a brilliant design house, if you don't count Chaps, Polo, RL67, Lauren, Rough Wear, and all the other past and present crap." Yes, and GM makes great cars-- if we leave out everything but the Corvette and the Tahoe.

Rather than springing for a hideously overpriced, probably poorly altered $1000 Armani at some Collins Ave boutique, I would rather see a Style Forum reader buy the Naldini for $150, spend another $200 on tailoring, and have a suit that fits, wears for 5-6 years, and doesn't represent a marketing fraud. I'd probably first suggest that any savvy buyer look at a Samuelsohn or Corneliani, but that wasn't the question that was asked.

Excellent analysis - wish I found this before I posted my $154 deal on a nice black Naldini. Just a bunch of knuckleheads responded.