1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Well-Known Member

Its on sale for a reason

2. blazingazn

blazingazn Well-Known Member

It's ugly, period.

Don't buy it, it will not work with any tops or shirts you wear.

3. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

Naked & Famous: Elephant 3 is here! [​IMG][​IMG] The Beast is Back! The third generation of the Naked & Famous elephant fabric clocks in at 19oz and features a super dark deep indigo color with a beige overcast. Great color that will result in deep prominent fades. Available in both Weird Guy and Skinny Guy (above). Naked & Famous "Weird Guy" Elephant 3 19oz Selvedge Denim in Deep Indigo * The "Weird Guy" fit runs slim in the top block, has a touch or room in the thigh, has a medium rise, and tapers from the knee to the leg opening * Custom engraved hardware with Naked & Famous logos * 5 pocket, button fly closure * Exposed pocket selvedge * Uses a 19oz sanforized selvedge denim woven on vintage shuttle looms in Japan. The weft has a beige color, the selvedge is white with pink accents. * 1/4" thick leather patch * 100% cotton * Deep Indigo * Made in Canada [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7430000 Naked & Famous "Skinny Guy" Elephant 3 19oz Selvedge Denim in Deep Indigo * The "Skinny Guy" fit is slim in the thigh with a medium rise and has a slight taper from mid-thigh to the leg opening. * Custom engraved hardware with Naked & Famous logos * 5 pocket, button fly closure * Exposed pocket selvedge * Uses a 19oz sanforized selvedge denim woven on vintage shuttle looms in Japan. The weft has a beige color, the selvedge is white with pink accents. * 1/4" thick leather patch * 100% cotton * Deep Indigo * Made in Canada [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7430001 More details can be seen on our latest blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/06/naked-famous-elephant-3-19oz-selvedge_14.html

1 person likes this.
  4. whoadie

whoadie New Member

^ hows the elephant 3 different from the elephant 1?

5. Prosemode

Prosemode Member

I don't understand the appeal of ridiculously heavy denim. They take forever to fade, and seem very impractical unless you're planning to ride into battle with that thing on.

6. jackmccabe

jackmccabe Active Member

The elephant 2's actually faded pretty fast.
    Also the fades look awesome and the jeans last for much longer than usual, they also provide a lot of warmth if you live somewhere cold.
    If I lived in a cold country I would never stop wearing heavyweight denim.

7. blazingazn

blazingazn Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. In respect to NFDenim, the heavyweights faded hella fast for me. And I've had a few of them, 24oz, Elephants 1 and 2.

8. zach4134

zach4134 Active Member

Alright, got a question for you guys on preference, if you have any experience or knowledge of either of these...
    Should I pick up a pair of Unbranded 21oz for $98
    OR
    Should I pick up the new Ele 3's at 19oz for a whopping $175?

9. valjester

valjester Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Unbranded and Naked and Famous essentially the same product?

10. zach4134

zach4134 Active Member

As far as I know, yes, essentially. However I've never owned a pair so I couldn't tell you if there's any difference in quality; or anything for that matter. Hence why I'm asking the question. I like the darker color of the ele 3's, they would probably have better contrast after a lot of wear, but I'm looking for any other reasons to justify spending that much more on them.

11. malcolm4819

malcolm4819 Well-Known Member

Since this is the 3rd edition of the Elephants, the original concept is overlooked. They are called "Elephants" because the textures resembles Elephant skin, the outer texture is rigid while the weft is soft and gentle. More comfortable than most heavyweight denims. The Dark and rich indigo color is absolutely beautiful if it resembles the original ones.

You should get the Elephants!

12. Ecco

Ecco Well-Known Member

Same maker, different product. Besides the sizing differences between the two brands, N&F tends to have more interesting fabrics, plays with dyes and fabric colors, and engages in collaborations with some regularity.

Unbranded is more to get high quality Japanese denim at the lowest price point by forgoing branding and the frills. They have a set lineup that hasn't had too many additions lately and they have kept the price point down.

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

I have and wear both I just find them different not really better or worse . I do have apair of N&F spr skinny lht that I havent worn yet that just might push me into the N&F camp tho

14. TooAwesome

TooAwesome Well-Known Member

bullshiet.......its essentially ele1 with a beige weft and cost more than the ele2s

2 people like this.
  15. Ecco

Ecco Well-Known Member

If the Unbranded came anywhere close to fitting me like size 29 WGs then I'd be all over that shit.

And the EL3s are lighter than the EL2s. 19 vs 22. I wonder what accounts for the markup.

16. 5354

5354 Well-Known Member

Nothing, they just charge more because they know consumers will still buy the Elephant series.

1 person likes this.
  17. mistahdabolina

mistahdabolina Well-Known Member

come from the same owners of n&f, practically the same fits
    pretty much unbranded is n&f without the quality control, cheaper indigo, and starchier denim.(that means faster fading that makes you think you have quality jeans)

E3's! im actually kind of happy for these, Im hoping they fade anywhere close to the BIGxNF collabo from when this brand first started out, I've been dying for a pair of those and these are the closest thing to it sadly. Im loving that they decided to chain stitch the hem again, i was kind of bummed out they skimped out of the quality on they e2's when they had a lock stitch hem and only chain stiched one line in the pockets.

probably be my last pair of NF till i move to something better(and lighter and actually japanese) from Self Edge

Im still working on my E2's, Ill probably post pictures after my Vegas/EDC trip. anyone going? :slayer:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  18. mjhead23

mjhead23 Member

[​IMG]

Anybody know if these are n&f? They look like double sided camos but they have that little pocket on the front.

19. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

Weight does not determine price. E3 uses a more expensive fabric compared to E2. Between E2 and E3, E2 was a much tighter weave and full of starch and E3 has slack weave feel (good amount of flex in the fabric) and richer color due to the beige yarn. I personally like E3 a lot more than E2.

Unbranded heavyweights are impossible to beat for the price. For those who simply want a heavyweight, get it. Unbranded is also a standard indigo color with contrast stitching and E3 has a tonal stitch making it look more like pant, slightly dressier.

20. Jay-D

Jay-D Well-Known Member

Naked and Famous "Skinny Guy" 12oz Selvedge Chino in Petrol Blue [​IMG][​IMG] The widely-popular Naked & Famous chinos are being produced in new colors....and in the Skinny Guy fit! Our first shipment of the fall 2012 lineup included this beautiful light blue green chino that N&F calls "Petrol Blue". The chino we received in this shipment is the Skinny Guy version, but Weird Guy is coming soon! Like their denim, these 12oz chinos are made entirely from Japanese materials and assembled in Canada. These chinos feature your standard 5 pocket design with a button fly closure, and are a great alternative to denim on days you just feel like wearing something different. Naked and Famous "Skinny Guy" 12oz Selvedge Chino in Petrol Blue * The "Skinny Guy" fit is slim in the thigh with a medium rise and has a slight taper from mid-thigh to the leg opening. * Custom engraved hardware with Naked & Famous logos * 5 pocket, button fly closure * Exposed pocket selvedge * 12oz sanforized red lined selvedge denim woven on vintage shuttle looms in Japan. * Cowhide eather patch * 100% cotton * Made in Canada [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7430002 More details can be seen on our latest blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/06/naked-and-famous-skinny-guy-12oz.html