• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naked and famous denim

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hyt123

Reaction score
^ why does that matter? having stains on any shoes looks stupid. its not like its scuff marks from working in boots, its just bleeding indigo; theres no 'purpose'

You could therefore also say that whiskers, honeycombs, stacks, and hell, even fades look stupid, it's just fading indigo, there's no 'purpose'.

If you're into raw denim then stained shoes come with the territory. If this bothers you so much then either buy darker shoes or screw raw denim, buy yourself a pair of light stonewash 501's, and be done with it. This is like building up a 12-inch drop and then complaining that your callused hands aren't dainty anymore.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could therefore also say that whiskers, honeycombs, stacks, and hell, even fades look stupid, it's just fading indigo, there's no 'purpose'.

If you're into raw denim then stained shoes come with the territory. If this bothers you so much then either buy darker shoes or screw raw denim, buy yourself a pair of light stonewash 501's, and be done with it. This is like building up a 12-inch drop and then complaining that your callused hands aren't dainty anymore.

...okay so there is only one way to wear raw denim...

wm8589

Reaction score
If all else fails I can always go to my trusted tailor.

TooAwesome

Reaction score

Whiskers, combs, stacks and fades serve the purpose of looking good. Some people even don't like fades but like the darkness and quality of raw denim so their solution is to get many pairs and rotate a lot. Indigo on your nice shoes is just ruining them, not everyone wants this 'character' to their shoes. He asked for solutions and got a 'that's just the way it is' answer. Wearing darker shoes or a pair of beater shoes while they're still bleeding are solutions though.

Last edited:

itbegins

Reaction score
people need to lay off. Bleeding indigo is a legitimate question that gets asked all the time, and some brands/models do it much more than others.

As per the thigh measurement emphasis, I agree, but the front rise is just as crucial. Jeans taper hard from the thigh to the knee, a change of an inch in the rise has a big impact.

kit99bar

Reaction score
Elephant 2 owners: when you did a soak or wash, did the jean shrink a bit?

wm8589

Reaction score
That's another reason I got the 38.. I looked on the thigh measurement (mine are 26") so i got the 38 because they said that the thigh measurements were 13" lying flat. Like I said, I'll get the waist altered if I need to.

wm8589

Reaction score
That's another reason I got the 38.. I looked on the thigh measurement (mine are 26") so i got the 38 because they said that the thigh measurements were 13" lying flat. Like I said, I'll get the waist altered if I need to

wm8589

Reaction score
No - buying TTS in the Weird Guy will have the waistband usually 2+ inches more than tagged > ie tagged 38 measures 40-40.5, mainly to account for how low they sit on the hips. Most on the board will advise sizing down (I say -1, others -2, all depends on the fit. Some do go TTS).
As far as I know RTStantons are pretty close from tag to measurement, no? So if you wear a 38 stanton, a 36 WG might suffice better. HOWEVER - the key on getting any jeans right from brand to brand is nailing down [COLOR=FF00AA]THE THIGH MEASUREMENT[/COLOR]. Get this right and you will save yourself a lot of time and money.
That's another reason I got the 38.. I looked on the thigh measurement (mine are 26") so i got the 38 because they said that the thigh measurements were 13" lying flat. Like I said, I'll get the waist altered if I need to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads