Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Well, I have read through all 48 pages of this thread and that has been the comparison made many times. And if you disagree with what someone says, how about you enlighten us all with some pertinent information about the subject at hand instead of being a rude jackass and contributing nothing to the conversation except a snide meaningless remark

Why don't you try on both pairs in corresponding sizes? I'm sure you'll be quick to realize they are not alike- just in case any number of snide meaningless remarks aren't enough to hit it home.

3. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

Rescues are definitely looser than Slim Guys. I haven't tried on the Weird Guys (I think they look very strange in most fit pics, especially if you're looking from the side), but my New Standards fit very similarly to my Slim Guys, and that's the same comparison I got from the guys at Farinelli's and other people.

Guy is actually the one of the first I've heard compare the Slim Guy to New Standards. Not saying he's wrong, but just stating my own experiences. Then again, I'm sure he has handled both a lot more APC and N&F than I have.

I guess I just sized down extra in my Rescues, because I find the look pretty similar to the Slims I tried on, though IIRC the Rescue has a slightly higher rise.

4. hastur

hastur Senior member

I guess I just sized down extra in my Rescues, because I find the look pretty similar to the Slims I tried on, though IIRC the Rescue has a slightly higher rise.

leg opening on the rescues is larger also

5. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

leg opening on the rescues is larger also

Again, I sized wayyy down on the Rescues, so I think the opening would be about the same on the Slims if I bought those. I usually wear a 30 or 31 in vanity sized jeans, but went down to a 28 on the Rescue. I wanted the top to fit like the NS but w/o a tapered leg, so I don't find mine all that baggy/wide.

6. guyferguson

guyferguson Affiliate vendor

Didn't mean to cause so much confusion. Allow me to clarify what i meant. If you were to describe APC and N&F offerings in the simplest terms my comparison holds true. The Slim Guy is a slim straight cut, as is the Rescue. The Weird Guy is a slim tapered cut, as is the New Standard (though the WG is noticeably more tapered than the NS). The Skinny Guy is a skinny straight cut, as is the New Cure. Really, seeking comparisons between brands makes little sense as they are all different. Slight differences in rise or taper can appear very drastic, especially when you account for how different everyone is shaped. The comparison does help people who aren't necessarily sure of what they want, and APC is a nice reference point because most people are familiar with at least one of their cuts.

On another note, i think it's a bit of a misconception that dudes with big thighs need to wear Slim Guys. If your thighs fill out the top block and then you have all this extra room from the knee down it looks pretty ridiculous and tends to only exaggerate your thighs. The Weird Guy on the other hand usually works better as it gives the entire leg a more natural look. I have a friend who struggled finding jeans for this exact problem, until he got a pair of Weird Guys in the right size. I think Slim Guys tend to look best on guys of average or shorter height with 'normal' sized legs.

This is all a matter opinion, and is silly to argue about, but i've sold a lot of these jeans to a lot of happy customers.

7. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Did Naked and Famous produce any other 21oz Weird Guys besides the Blue in Green collaboration? I know that they have a lot of weird fabric experimentation, would love to see the kevlar ones in person.

8. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

Actually i would say from most relaxed to slimmest if definitely goes Slim > Weird > Skinny.

Slim and Skinny are both straight leg, Weird is tapered. The Weird Guy cut is basically right in between the two, with the thigh of the Slim Guy with the leg opening of the Skinny Guy.

Unless you are wearing a very small size the Slim Guy is not that slim. It also has a shorter inseam and larger hem than the other two which definitely gives it an overall more relaxed look.

Even though there are a lot of differences between APC and N&F, the simplest comparison would be Slim Guy = Rescue, Weird Guy = New Standard, Skinny Guy = New Cure.

A properly sized pair of Weird Guys appear quite slim on most people. We don't sell a ton of the Slim Guy in store as i feel it takes a very particular body type and specific footwear choices to really look good. I'm always surprised by how many people seem to want them online.

Awesome, thanks for the fit descriptions -- helps a lot in my search ^! Unfortunately that also means that the SkinnyGuy isn't for me. I could work with Slim Guy and Weird Guy but I'm nowhere near Skinny Guy territory.

9. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

Did Naked and Famous produce any other 21oz Weird Guys besides the Blue in Green collaboration? I know that they have a lot of weird fabric experimentation, would love to see the kevlar ones in person.

yup

http://www.tobi.com/product/20862-na...n-indigo-denim

10. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

11. snuff_daddy

my bad, didnt pay attn

12. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

no problemo, I bought a pair from another member and he said they were 21oz, and the only 21oz weirdos I could find online were the blue in green specials. They could be samples or a special run for a canadian store though, who knows.

13. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Allow me to clarify what i meant.

Man, this post makes me think N&F really know what they are doing with their cuts.

14. snuff_daddy

a few years ago N&F had some event where the owner let u pick out the cut of denim, the type of denim, the color of the stitching, and what hardware...etc

and he would make it for u...did anyone custom make a pair???

15. nomad

nomad Senior member

Yeah it was at the N&F anniversary party at Dutil in Vancouver. I think they priced about 280 canadian and there might be a picture of someones on the sufu thread.