Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

If you can get the same thing somewhere else, you are overpaying. If you can't, you are paying what the market demands, in which case it is your decision if you want to spend that amount or not. Items are priced to sell at their price point. If they don't sell, they go to sale, in which case the merchant and wholesaler might rethink said price in the future. I bought the NF X Oni and I'm happy with my investment. If you look at almost any brands made in Japan (Just look at SelfEdge or BiG) you can find almost none that go for less than what these collabs do at the quality of denim and construction. It's just how it is. I could have waited for sales, but then I would have risked my size being gone.

2. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

It's like people say almost every season about W+H sweats: a lot of people just view sweats as a lounge item or item of utility, and don't understand paying more. But, if you own a pair of W+H, or a Japanese loop wheeler for that matter, you know why you paid what you did, and it was definitely worth it to you.

Paying $275 for a pair of denim is only overpaying if you haven't been around SF or Sufu for long enough, of if you'd rather spend your money on something other than denim.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

Hasn't the price of cotton also risen dramatically in these last few years? I think I just read that global supply's are down to 1993 levels and over the last 6 months something like 100-150% increase due to Pakistan flooding etc..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. RawAsDenim

RawAsDenim Senior member

Sneaker you got the right sized oni's?

5. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

I kind of wish I got the NF x Big Johns when Barney had the big sale now. I got some RRLs instead. Oh well.

6. happyxix

happyxix Member

So what are you going to do with the rest?

7. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

Yea, sized up from 28 the first time around to a 29, so that means I only sized down 1 size (true waist 30). Fit is spot on, still wish they had 4 buttons on the fly but I've gotten over it. I needed a new pair of raw denim and the one I was eyeing from another brand was out of stock so I pulled the trigger on these again. Did a cold soak instead of hot this time. Inseam could still be a bit longer but overall I bought them again because I like the denim. In case you are wondering there was zero indigo loss from the soak as far as I could see.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Is heavier denim warmer? I am looking to buy a pair for the winter and was wondering about that. Thanks guys.

9. MartinLil

MartinLil Senior member

Nope. Heavier denim is great for keeping cool on hot summer days. Yes, of course jeans of thicker cotton are warmer than those made of thinner cotton. This question is ridiculous and can be answered by any person with common sense. For denim to be considered heavy weight, it must be 17 oz or more. Personally, I prefer 14 or 15 oz denim in fall, winter, and spring; nothing heavier.

10. schemaless

schemaless Active Member

I don't think it's a ridiculous question, and there's no need to be an ass about it.

I have worn motorcycle textiles heavier than 20oz that were not very warm, due to the density of the weave, and the insulating properties of the material.

To answer the original question, yeah, generally heavier N&F denim is warmer, but I tend to think of it as easier to tolerate in the winter compared to the summer.

11. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Usually, but not always. It depends on how densely woven the denim is. But all else being equal, yeah, heavier is warmer.

I don't think there's any official weight by which heavyweight denim is defined. Most of us on the forums say 17 oz. or more qualifies as heavyweight denim, but I know that more than one reputable denim manufacturer (Flat Head, Studio D'Artisan) refer to their 16 oz. denim as heavyweight as well. Back when Lucky Brand was made in the USA, they were calling their 14 oz. denim heavyweight, because their standard was 12 oz.

12. Erenoth

Erenoth Senior member

This just in from N&F on facebook:

[​IMG]

Super jealous. I want some free denim origami.

13. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

The one's you got are better.

14. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

lol....
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if the weight of the jeans was referring to the about of "starch" the put on the pant. So part of me was thinking it would wash off or something along those like, clearly I am new to NF denim. But thanks your reply helps, do you have any idea if 22oz denim would be pretty "warm" when its in the 40's? For those of you with the glow in the dark jeans I have worn mine about ten times and I have noticed a few places where the finish seemes to be fading, package area, so I am assuming that they wont glow their anymore. Do you know if they will recoat them for you, and how much it would cost? Also I have the WG in a size 33 and 32, the 33's that I have been wearing are now at a point where they are comfortable but I have a bit of space on the waist. Would you size down to a 32 or stick with the 33? I am getting a bit of the fabric overlap (on the seat of the pant) when I walk and am wondering if sizing down would solve this problem. The weird guy fit is freaking great! I just wish they would make them with a high rise, I feel weird showing off my boxers. Thanks guys.

15. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

The weight has nothing to do with starch, it's a measure of how much the fabric itself weighs per square yard. Higher weight denim is simply thicker and often denser than lower weight denim. 22 oz. should keep you pretty warm in 40 degree weather, so long as it's not excessively windy.

I doubt that N&F would be willing to re-coat the Glow-in-the-Dark jeans. For most people, a big part of the purpose of wearing denim in the first place is to allow it to fade over time. I'm pretty sure that N&F subscribes to that school of thought.

Sizing down to a 32 on the WGs would probably solve the problem of extra fabric in the seat, just be careful that the thighs don't get too tight for you when you size down.