Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Was there any truth to the rumor of a Weird Guy with a higher rise coming out?

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

Better materials, better stitching, rivets (some N&F don't even have any in the back pockets), Japanese craftsmanship (and wages), little details, etc. It's really up to you to decide how much they are worth. But there is a clear difference in terms of quality. (Not that normal N&F are bad, just the collabs are better)

3. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

This +1.

4. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

stevent already responded to your question better than I could have, but I did want to add that having back pocket rivets on a pair of jeans isn't as simple as just buying 4 rivets. The pockets have to be cut in a different shape, with tabs for the hidden rivets, and the tabs have to be folded back during assembly before the rivets can be put on. This causes additional labor and time in the production of the jeans, which the manufacturer passes on to the consumer at an inflated rate. There are cheap jeans out there, like Unbranded and Gap, with hidden back pocket rivets, but the overwhelming majority of jeans with that feature retail for over $225.

5. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

Hey if anyone is interested I'm trying to sell my BNWT 33 Japan heritages Skinny guys 150 Shipped conus also Paypal fees included. I needed to size up to 34s so trying to sell. Tried on once. Also hemmed to 35" inseem. Leftover fabric included. Pm me haven't made a b&s yet.

6. highway

highway Senior member

sure, non-sweatshop labor rates etc. but I think for the most part you guys need to stop kidding yourselves and admit that you are over paying for a pair of denim at some point. the items are nice, and you want nice things -- and that is OK, no one is blaming you for that, but there's a reason stuff goes on sale at the end of the season, and those places still make money. even a small(er) retailer like blueowl dropped the momo1s from 275 to 165, and he may have still made some money. 40% retail markup is typical.

7. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

Does the elephant 2 denim stretch at all?

8. Jay-D

Jay-D Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Naked & Famous: Denim and Chambray Bow Ties [​IMG] We love Brandon, designer of Naked & Famous, for his high energy and fun attitude which often carries over into his designs and his products.....like bow ties! Naked & Famous bow ties come in a variety of colors and fabrics, which are thes same fabrics as used on N&F denim and button downs. N&F bow ties are hand-made in very small batches by a tie maker in Canada and use dead-stock clip-on tie hardware from Ormand NYC. These ties will only be around as long as this dead stock hardware is available. Here are the colors from the latest batch. Naked & Famous 5oz Brown Chambray Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979001 Naked & Famous 12oz Indigo Denim Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979003 Naked & Famous 5oz Light Blue Chambray Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979002 Naked & Famous 5oz Peach Chambray Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979005 Naked & Famous 5oz Mint Green Chambray Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979006 Naked & Famous 12oz Black Denim Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979000 Naked & Famous 5oz Red Chambray Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979007 Naked & Famous 13oz Gray Denim Clip-on Bow Tie
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Canada [​IMG] Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7979004 More details can be seen on our latest blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/10/naked-famous-assorted-bow-ties.html.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

It's hard to define what overpaying is. The value of a good is what the market pays for it. So if you buy a collab when they are all priced at $275, you paid a fair price. If you wait until it goes down to $139, you still paid a fair price. If you got the collab right when it was released, you also get the 6 months to wear them before the sale, along with all the intangible factors related to the earlier purchase. Also during sale time, there is no guarantee that you can get what you want in your size. And the jeans might have been tried on so many times that the threads are loose in the button fly already. Or someone could have worn the sale pair for a few hours, decided it was too loose/tight and returned them. For some that would be an additional deduction in value. And you also have to factor in the value of the yen. A few years ago when N&F started it was ~1 USD to 120 yen. Now it's 1USD to 77 yen. A huge swing. Surprising that N&F prices have not changed much given this swing. You could argue that all N&F collabs are actually priced too cheaply and that at $275 we are getting a steal. Clothing stores are all in the business of making money. If nobody made money, why would there be stores?

10. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Yep stretches just like all their other jeans, but I dont think it stretches as much, and takes much longer to stretch and wear in

11. cssisco

cssisco Well-Known Member

unbranded, paul rose, naked & famous....brandon's

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

So I bought the glow in the dark in sizes 29-35, and I am in between two sizes the 32 or the 33. I wear a 31in the slim guy cut (still in the breaking in process I had a 32 but it got really loose on the waist after a while so I am hoping it works.) The 32 in the wg fits really snug, I mean it squeezes my hips when I walk and the package. The 33 fits snug but not as much as the 32. My thighs have a bit more space in the 33 as well, I have pretty big thighs.

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

OH MY GOD A Chambray shirt in Mint green or Peach would be a killer for ss 12

14. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

+1

15. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Once again, stevent said what I would have said better than I could have said it as far as market value and the value of time go. Also, overpaying is in the eye of the beholder. Someone who pays $20 for a pair of jeans at Costco is going to think that we overpay for jeans when we buy N&F, even on sale for say, $80. Sure, we are getting something nicer, but realistically speaking, those $20 Costco jeans are still going to get the job done for whoever bought them. It's all a matter of perspective.
    There are definitely exceptions to what I said, but still, the overwhelming majority of jeans that have hidden back pocket rivets will cost you at least $225 retail. And AFAIK, the only N&F with hidden back pocket rivets are the Japanese collabs that retail for $275 anyway.