• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naked and famous denim

RawAsDenim

Reaction score
Question for you guys....I soaked my Weird Guy Deep Indigo with only about 20 easy wears just to see how much they would shrink. I lost the stiffness of them which i kinda miss. But, do you guys think I should have waited longer before I soaked?

What are you guys opinion on soaking your sanforized denim? I know it wont really affect the fading since other companies you have to soak first but it doesn't seem like my combs and wiskers are setting in as sharply as I'd like. I mean I guess I could get some starch and starch them..

If you wanted that stiffness you shouldn't have done a pre soak on a sanforized pair, the Sanforization process is what prevents the majority of shrinking so you didn't need to do the pre soak to eliminate shrinkage as for doing it to get some of the initial dye off you're not really gonna see too much of anything after "20 easy wears".

IMO If you had wanted "Sharp" combs and whiskers you shouldn't have pre soaked this early but it's your pants so just wear them how you want lol

abcdenim

Reaction score

Question for you guys....I soaked my Weird Guy Deep Indigo with only about 20 easy wears just to see how much they would shrink. I lost the stiffness of them which i kinda miss. But, do you guys think I should have waited longer before I soaked?

What are you guys opinion on soaking your sanforized denim? I know it wont really affect the fading since other companies you have to soak first but it doesn't seem like my combs and wiskers are setting in as sharply as I'd like. I mean I guess I could get some starch and starch them..
Starching them will definitely bring a lot of the rigidness back to the jeans. Thats a great way to get some deeper, crisper creases in the combs and whiskers and such. Pretty easy, just add some starch into a spray bottle with water and spray away, may be a little smelly but if you want the rigidness back its worth the sacrifice.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Naked & Famous x Momotaro Collaboration 2 "Weird Guy" Guess what arrived a couple weeks earlier than expected!
7987000.1b.JPG
The Naked & Famous x Momotaro 2 collaboration denim combines the Japanese artisan craftsmanship of Momotaro and the fit of the Naked & Famous weird guy cut. This collaboration will be very similar to the first collaboration in details, but uses a slightly different 14oz fabric that is expected to fade quicker. Only 400 pairs of denim were made in the first production run. Momotaro x Naked & Famous Collbaboration 2 "Weird Guy" Selvedge Denim in Indigo
- 100% cotton
- Sizes 28-34, 36
- Made in Kojima, Japan by Momotoro
7987000.2b.JPG
7987000.4b.JPG
7987000.5b.JPG
7987000.3b.JPG

Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7987000 More details cane be seen on our latest blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/09/momotaro-x-naked-famous-collbaboration.html.

Astronaut888

Reaction score
size 28 rocking a 31 waist?

bummer.
where's the skinny love?

APC vainity in the house.

Aniki

Reaction score
and it looks like they're using the same back pocket dimensions as the skinny guys. it looks TINY on the weird guys.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

size 28 rocking a 31 waist?

bummer.
where's the skinny love?

APC vainity in the house.

I was a little shocked to see 3" larger than tag. There might be a few 27s and I am trying to get them.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Naked And Famous Weird Guy Deep Indigos in a size 30 on B&S. The seller lists these as having a 15.5" waist.

I usually wear similar fitting pants with a 16" waist. Should I go with the size 30, or will I need a 29? I guess my question is, how much do N&F jeans stretch? (First time N&F buyer here)

Thank you for the help!

MartinLil

Reaction score

Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Naked And Famous Weird Guy Deep Indigos in a size 30 on B&S. The seller lists these as having a 15.5" waist.

I usually wear similar fitting pants with a 16" waist. Should I go with the size 30, or will I need a 29? I guess my question is, how much do N&F jeans stretch? (First time N&F buyer here)

Thank you for the help!

They'll stretch an inch or so in the waist if they're tight to begin with. If they fit well (i.e. not super tight), they may stretch a half inch like all sanforized denim does. After a soak or wash, the denim will shrink back though. You could probably fit either a 29 or 30. When in doubt, go with the size that has the thigh measurement you want. In the end, how the thighs fit will matter much more than the waist. (The thighs will stretch very, very little if at all.)

Last edited:

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the help, man. Do N&F jeans measure differently across the board? I'm looking at a few pairs on Blue Owl and it states that a size 29 measures 31", and that a size 30 actually measures 32". I don't want to size down to a 29, but I'm afraid that a size 30 will stretch out too much in the waist to be worn without a belt.

Last question, if you guys don't mind: how much can I expect inseam to shrink upon first wash? Most jeans that I've worn shrink anywhere from half an inch to an inch and a half, so I just want to double check before I take them off to get hemmed.

Last edited:

DXB

Reaction score

Hey, thanks for the help, man. Do N&F jeans measure differently across the board? I'm looking at a few pairs on Blue Owl and it states that a size 29 measures 31", and that a size 30 actually measures 32". I don't want to size down to a 29, but I'm afraid that a size 30 will stretch out too much in the waist to be worn without a belt.

Last question, if you guys don't mind: how much can I expect inseam to shrink upon first wash? Most jeans that I've worn shrink anywhere from half an inch to an inch and a half, so I just want to double check before I take them off to get hemmed.

If you care about how you look enough to wear expensive jeans, you should also consider getting yourself a jeansbelt. They will keep every pair from stretching too much and complete the botton half. Also I'm a TTS 31-32 and fit 28 N+ F, so I would definitely get a 29. They stretch a lot, if somewhat slower than APCs.

Starching them will definitely bring a lot of the rigidness back to the jeans. Thats a great way to get some deeper, crisper creases in the combs and whiskers and such. Pretty easy, just add some starch into a spray bottle with water and spray away, may be a little smelly but if you want the rigidness back its worth the sacrifice.

The rigidity is seldom worth the stress the starch puts on the denim. It tends to leave jeans lasting a good deal less time before wearing out so to speak. There are a few schools of thought on this, but those who want to get the most time out of their jeans often soak the manufacturers starch out before wearing them at all. They won't ever get that same "crunch"
back no matter what you do, but wearing them alot will force them to hold shape similar to starching.

abcdenim

Reaction score

If you care about how you look enough to wear expensive jeans, you should also consider getting yourself a jeansbelt. They will keep every pair from stretching too much and complete the botton half. Also I'm a TTS 31-32 and fit 28 N+ F, so I would definitely get a 29. They stretch a lot, if somewhat slower than APCs.

The rigidity is seldom worth the stress the starch puts on the denim. It tends to leave jeans lasting a good deal less time before wearing out so to speak. There are a few schools of thought on this, but those who want to get the most time out of their jeans often soak the manufacturers starch out before wearing them at all. They won't ever get that same "crunch"
back no matter what you do, but wearing them alot will force them to hold shape similar to starching.

Hey DXB thanks for clearing that up! Should have put more of an emphasis on how starching could lead to less longevity in your jeans, but for some people starching is the best way for them to get those extra deep creases. Always a toss up of what you want more, but at the end of the day.. wearing your jeans will produce the best fades, most personal fades, and your jeans will actually resemble your lifestyle! thats what it's all about!

There's always a little room to play around with when you're dealing with jeans. Best way is to ask the dealer your buying them from to measure that exact pair one more time for you that way you know exactly what you're getting. Works best if you measure your jeans right now, measure your waist where you wear your jeans, and then compare it to good sizing charts. As for the inseam shrinking I'd say its really minimal in N+F denim in my experience, i'd say less than .5". Good way to try and avoid that is by hanging them upside down to dry haha, works for me!

Wess

Reaction score
Shameless self plug: I have a Weird Guy Japan Heritage 28x30 for sale. The denim is awesome, my behind just happens to be too big...

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Slim Guy NEP selvedge denims arrived while I was away last week - they are lovely. They feel very different to the pair Edwin 505XX selvedge I am wearing now. Much more stiff, almost 'crisp' rather like the vintage Japanese indigo shop coat I was given recently. The surface is kind of bobbly and scuffed - very textural. Love them already and I haven't even tried them on yet...

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. I just placed an order for a pair of the Left Hand Twills from Blue Owl in a size 29 (32" waist). They might stretch out to be a tad too large in the waist, but I don't think it'll be too big of a deal. There's always next time if these don't fit the way I want them to fit.

Special shoutout to Jay from Blue Owl for being a fantastic guy to work with. Answered all my questions very professionally and recommended me the pair that I was looking for. I'll be sure to order from them in the future again. :slayer:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads