Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Don't get me wrong, I love the business model of N&F, really like the company and the guys who run it. I also like the retailers who sell it around here so I'm in no way trying to shit up this thread - at the same time there is so much great denim out there - I can't understand why you'd need seven pairs of N&F. N&F does some really cool stuff, some stuff i'd never wear but respect nonetheless (glow in the dark for example) - they fill that niche well. They also do great collaborations (can't wait for the Oni). Further, they do great jeans at a great price point (filling out the APC niche in a better way, IMO). But once you buy 7 pairs (which must have cost at least $700 - has to have been more) I can't see why you didn't just buy a couple killer pairs of jeans even at full retail from SelfEdge, BiG, or whatever. It takes 6 months worn every day to really break in and fade a single pair of jeans in a great way. I've seen someone else in this thread with like 12 pairs - to each his own - I guess you can get in to a collector mentality with this stuff at a good price point.

I've got three pairs of denim in rotation right now (one of which is N&F X Momo) and even that is too much to really dedicate to each pair.

2. jcashen87

jcashen87 Member

^^^^It is a lot of pairs, 3 were a gift to me and a got several others, but im actually not too crazy about a lot of the stuff at Self Edge SF right now, tons of Nudies(no thanks) only maybe the 3 sixteens and Flat Heads but i got 3 pairs for what i could get one pair of flat heads for. And i just figured i could get a lot now and rotate them for years. Money is not such a huge issue right now either for the first time, but in hindsight i do think that i could of done without 2-3 pairs that i got but whatever. I like them so i will wear them.

3. GSafternoon

GSafternoon Well-Known Member

Well, I tried to make a post here earlier doing a little review of the Japan Heritage weird guys that I picked up from Jay, but it the post wouldn't go through for whatever reason. So heres another attempt:

To start, here's how the size 30 fits me, pretty freshly after a soak (dry of course, but not fully stretched out yet). Pretty interested in the LHT and maybe the NFxMomo2, which case I think I'll grab them in skinny guy

[​IMG][​IMG]

And here are some detail shots of the denim and such:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And a closeup of the super rough, slubby denim:
    [​IMG]

Anyways, a really nice pair of jeans. I just wish N&F could get their construction details down a little better. There were loose threads everywhere...had to go through with a pair of scissors and do some trimming. I guess you get what you pay for. I have some Japan Heritage Weird Guys in a size 31 for sale over on sufu, or PM here if you're interested. Theyre once soaked for 30 minutes, otherwise, completely unworn.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

4. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

hmm mines stretched just a little.

5. MartinLil

MartinLil Senior member

I'm not sure why their construction isn't up to par but they definitey leave a lot to be desired. The WG fit suits my body well, which is what keeps me coming back to N&F. I've learned to go for the collabs where the other denim company produces the jeans in its factory with its denim, machines, and quality control. That way, I get the cut I like as well as a quality pair of jeans. If I were you, I'd go for the NFxMomo over the LHT or anything produced in N&F's factory.

6. GSafternoon

^I hear ya, and definitely agree, the construction on the original NFxMomos looked pretty good, and obviously the Oni's will be spot on as well. The LHT denim just looks so smooth and crisp, which is quite the opposite of the Japan Heritages I just picked up. Either way, no need to jump the gun with a brand new pair on my hands...might as well wait and see what the nfxmomo2 will be about.

7. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

my 24 oz are breaking in nicely. since Oct 2010.

i think i'm gonna take some pictures while it's still sunny here in Vancity.

what is the best lighting to use? direct sunlight?

8. Jacob_G

Jacob_G Senior member

Want to get a grey pair of weird guys. In apc I take size 30 how (true 32) how should I size the weird guys if I want the same fit than you do? many thanks in advance

9. GSafternoon

I wear a size 30 in apc petite standard, and picked up a 30 in the japan heritage weird guys. The weird guys are definitely a bit looser already. Hope that helps.

10. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

@ Jacob I grabbed the Grey Weird-Guys a couple weeks ago to just add another color to my mix and they seem alright. I really haven't had a chance to break them in or anything but they are fairly light on the grey scale. I wasn't too impressed with the selvedge line which is fairly shiny for whatever reason (not sure if someone could help explain). I wish I could see a photo of a pair of faded in ones to see how they turn out with some good wear. My problem is I've purchased like 10-12 pairs some really nice ones from BiG and PBJ etc.. lately and I don't have any chance to really wear them (I work like 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week) .. I guess I'm just collecting them haha.

11. MartinLil

MartinLil Senior member

Why, why, why? There is no need for so much denim at one time and you will never get all those pairs worn in at the rate you're going (~52 wears/year). I hope you have all 12+ idle pair (one wear/week is basically idle) at least hanging properly in your closet.

12. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

^
    Some folks just like to have a bunch of denim, and lots of cut/color/texture options. Let's not assume everyone's goal is to get crazy fades on every pair they own.

13. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I'm a noob here, and I havent read through this entire thread yet, but I was wondering if someone could help me out with what style I need. Can someone very briefly explain the difference between the 3 styles? SkinnyGuy is the skinniest, SlimGuy is slim, and WeirdGuy is regular? I have a pair of APC petite standard and was looking to grab a pair of N&F also.

Thanks!

14. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Crossfit

I am also a newbie but I believe SkinnyGuy is skinny, SlimGuy is a straight leg, and WeirdGuy is tapered.

15. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

Thanks!

Is the SkinnyGuy as slim as the APC PS?