Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. shinjin

shinjin Member

because the answers are all inconsistent
    ive seen people say to size down 2 on WG's most of the time actually
    and this is the first I've heard that TTS on skinnies will be "still snug"

i was under the impression that a marked 32 skinny was already a 33 waist in reality, according to blueowl and some other people
    wouldnt going TTS make it too large, + stretching

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

You just need to understand that the pair of 511s that you have in your hands and have worn and stretched has the answers you are looking for. Nobody else has that pair or has stretched it the way you have. Maybe you will manage to find someone who has both worn the size and material 511 you wear AND has bought the N&F in the cut and the fabric you are wanting, but you probably won't.

The pair you have contains the waist measurement, which will get you real close to the correct size, and the thigh measurement, which can steer you away from a mistake. In general, you should size N&F with 1" stretch in the waist or 0 to 0.5" stretch for a Skinny Guy. If you yourself have no thighs to speak of / approach an "underweight" score on a BMI chart, you can go for 2" stretch on a WG or a full inch+ stretch on a Skinny Guy.

TTS is a stupid phrase.

3. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

this makes no sense at all. if it fits 1 inch bigger than the tag size in the waist, then it fits big, considering the tag size refers to the waist size, not the leg size.

4. Trollface

Trollface Member

I wish they brought back the green selvedge! That was the bomb...

5. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

[​IMG]

"These are scratch-and-sniff raspberry-scented jeans."

- Brandon Svarc, Naked and Famous

6. PDL24DCP

PDL24DCP Well-Known Member

7. malcolm4819

malcolm4819 Senior member

That salmon colored shirt brandon got on it nice...is that N&F? FW11 or SS12?

8. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

My eye is kind of untrained so... Do Naked and Famous jeans generally have a chain stitch? I need to hem my regular Indigo Weird Guys and if it didn't originally come with a chain stitch, I'm not going to bother and get a chain stitch on them.

9. MartinLil

MartinLil Senior member

They heavier denims, such as 19 oz and up, don't always have chain stitch at the hem, but I believe the regular indigos do have a chain stitch (I believe the regular are ~12 oz). Just look at the hem. If it's a single line, they are not chain stitched; if it looks like roping, it's a chain stitch. Either way, get the chain stitch when you have them hemmed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  10. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

The answers are inconsistent, because different people have different body types. For some, sizing down a certain amount fits the waist right, but then the hips or thighs of the jeans are too tight, for example. So they go with a slightly looser waist to get the right fit in the hips or thighs.

Another thing that is a factor is that a lot of people don't measure their waist when referencing their size. They use their size in other jeans as the reference. Most brands of jeans run about an inch bigger in the waist than tagged, and some even more than that, so doing it that way causes additional confusion and inconsistency.

For what it's worth, my actual waist measurement is 34.5". I wear a 32 in Slim Guys and Weird Guys and a 33 in Skinny Guys. I'm not skinny by any means, and those are the sizes that have fit me the best.

IME, the majority of N&F models don't have chainstitched hems. I do have a pair of 19 oz. Elephant denim ones that do, and the collaborations with the Japanese companies definitely do, but most that I've seen don't.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  11. malcolm4819

malcolm4819 Senior member

Best way to find your size is to go try em on. Find a local retailer or do trial and error over the net (talk to some of the SF affiliates that carry N&F and I'm sure they will work with you to find your right size). The general accepted rule in N&F amongs SF, HB,Supertalk and even N&F themselves is...

SkinnyGuy = TTS (looser fit is size up 1)
    Weird Guy = Sized down one
    Slim Guy = Sized one or two.

I have found this to work in most occasions. But regardless of the sizing the cuts are different so it best to find your favorite cut as well.

12. hxh_killua

hxh_killua Senior member

Anyone have any insight as to whether the Vintage Blue can still be purchased?

13. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

its red chambray

14. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

What size are you looking for I have a pair available!