Naked and famous denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mauro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

Well fuck. Looks like I'm going with the slim guys.

Thanks guys.

2. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

slim guy = NS
    skinny guy = PS

I actually find the Slim Guy to be more similar to the Rescue and the Weird Guy to be more similar to the NS, though the Weird Guy is more tapered than the NS.

3. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

I sized down to 31 in SlimGuy's and they never really stretched out as much as I thought they would? I'm a 32 waist btw.

I just bought some WG's though TTS (I've got huge legs/hips), the grey selvedge ones. Paid $150 with tax+gst...think I coulda got them cheaper online?

Also, the inseam is slightly longer on WG's compared to SlimGuy's. SlimGuy's I could just cuff and it looked okay. Would it be weird to cuff WG's + get some stacking? Does that look strange?

Yeah you can cuff Weird Guys. It looks okay.

IMO the best way to do it is to give them a very slight cuff. Like half an inch maybe. Basically just the blue ring at the bottom and a little bit of weft showing too. Just enough to actually show off the selvedge. You get stacks this way too because you are barely taking any length off this way.

I tried cuffing them more, like 1-2 inches....and it doesn't look bad, but it wasn't for me.

4. SwiftLearner

SwiftLearner Well-Known Member

Tried on Weird Guy and Skinny Guy at Barney's on the UWS. Both were lovely pairs of jeans, but the fits weren't for me. Since I also love my New Standards, I'll go back and try the Slim Guys tomorrow.

Skinny Guy = just too skinny like the Exgirlfriend Levis on me
    Weird Guy = didn't like the tapering

But seriously, I see why this thread is always on the front page. They kill other great companies like Nudie or Levi's with the quality of the Japanese denim. Never tried on jeans like that before! Glad I read this board...

5. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I sized down to 31 in SlimGuy's and they never really stretched out as much as I thought they would? I'm a 32 waist btw.

I just bought some WG's though TTS (I've got huge legs/hips), the grey selvedge ones. Paid $150 with tax+gst...think I coulda got them cheaper online?

Also, the inseam is slightly longer on WG's compared to SlimGuy's. SlimGuy's I could just cuff and it looked okay. Would it be weird to cuff WG's + get some stacking? Does that look strange?

Personally, I'm not crazy about the look of cuffs on jeans with small leg openings like the Weird Guys, but the WGs should actually stack a little bit better than the Slim Guys due to the leg opening size.

Tried on Weird Guy and Skinny Guy at Barney's on the UWS. Both were lovely pairs of jeans, but the fits weren't for me. Since I also love my New Standards, I'll go back and try the Slim Guys tomorrow.

But seriously, I see why this thread is always on the front page. They kill other great companies like Nudie or Levi's with the quality of the Japanese denim. Never tried on jeans like that before! Glad I read this board...

I think the Slim Guys run looser than the NS, but based on how you described the other two cuts on you, I think you'll like the Slim Guy the best of the 3 N&F cuts.

6. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Yeah skinny guys really live to their name in the sense that they only look good on well...skinny guys. Weird guys to an extent are the same, but it's not set in stone.

I'm 5'9 and 140 lbs. So skinny guys look pretty good on me. I had to size down 2 on Weird Guys to get a good fit. Although it took a month for them to settle in enough to really look good.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Got to disagree with some of the advice here recently.

What's the best way to size WGs if I want a more relaxed fit? TTS or up 1?

The thing is, the idea of sizing up one is fairly bankrupt, as you'd have a jean with a waist bigger than your true waist, so you don't need to ask this. All this "TTS" and "down 2" advice is imprecise anyway.

Determine what waist size you want and shoot for the appropriate size, aka about 1" of stretch. That is your best shot at the right size the first time. If you are very skinny, you may be able to push 2" stretch. If you have an athletic build or want a more relaxed fit, you may shoot for no stretch, although due to how human bodies are you should probably shoot for a "bit" of stretch. If you need something more relaxed than that, choose a different cut.

Put them on today and damn they are loose. Unbelievable that I sized down 2.

Funny thing though, I have awful knee bulge right now, because a lot of the sitting I've done has caused the knees to soften out faster than the rest of the jeans.

I have experienced this with WG's and realistically it means the cut at that size is not for you. See next:

NNNOOOOOOOOO. lol

They are more like a skinny fit in the upper area while the legs are a very slim taper.

This isn't exactly right. For most body types, you shouldn't just size the top block down to it's absolute limits, because your knee will fuck them up. WG's are a skinny fit if you really push it, but unless your legs themselves are quite naturally skinny (and I'm talking bone structure), your knees are gonna push through. WG's in general are slim in the top block and tapered at the bottom. In fact, what is nice about them, is that they are proportionately tapered and relaxed in the thigh providing a silhouette that is difficult to find at that price range.

8. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

I have experienced this with WG's and realistically it means the cut at that size is not for you. See next:

This isn't exactly right. For most body types, you shouldn't just size the top block down to it's absolute limits, because your knee will fuck them up. WG's are a skinny fit if you really push it, but unless your legs themselves are quite naturally skinny (and I'm talking bone structure), your knees are gonna push through. WG's in general are slim in the top block and tapered at the bottom. In fact, what is nice about them, is that they are proportionately tapered and relaxed in the thigh providing a silhouette that is difficult to find at that price range.

That's the thing though. I have bone dry legs so sizing down that much has worked for me.

The knee bulge is slowly going away anyway. It took a couple days for the rest of the jeans to adjust.

9. 1up

1up Senior member

The WG's run so long though? How do you guys wear them without the jeans dragging along the floor w/o shoes on? I'm probably normally a 31 inseam, and these are 35. Should I hem off a couple inches?

10. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

The WG's run so long though? How do you guys wear them without the jeans dragging along the floor w/o shoes on? I'm probably normally a 31 inseam, and these are 35. Should I hem off a couple inches?

Mine are too tapered to drag, they just stack up around the shoes. Thinking of taking 1 or 2 inches off thoug

11. 1up

1up Senior member

Well I sized down 1 with my SlimGuys and they ended up never stretching enough in the leg/butt, but tons in the waist. I bought a 31 in them and I'm a 32. I've got big hips/upperlegs/ass though, but they always remained a bit too tight for my taste in the butt/thighs. I just bought WG's in a 33 based on the collective decision between me and the dude at times profile shop. The 32 were really tight (I guess cause they sit more on the hips, and I've got big hips). But now I'm at home and the 33 fit snug, but will they stretch out MORE or about the same as SlimGuys? Thinking I should maybe go back and get the 32's...but I don't want them to keep as tight as my SlimGuys did in the upper leg area.. Fit pics for reference. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

I have a big butt too, so at first my weird guys were really really tight in the butt. It took FOREVER but yes the butt did loosen up and now it looks fine.

13. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

those look too big 1up, my weird guys were painted on when i sized down 2 but they've stretched out 1-2 inches anywhere they were uncomfortable

you'll reap the benefits by toughing out the break in period, no pain no gain

14. 1up

1up Senior member

those look too big 1up, my weird guys were painted on when i sized down 2 but they've stretched out 1-2 inches anywhere they were uncomfortable

you'll reap the benefits by toughing out the break in period, no pain no gain

Do WG's stretch more than SlimGuys? I had lots of stretching in the waist, but not much elsewhere. If I size down on WG's the legs are ridiculously tight, and I'm worried they'll end up like my Slim's and never stretch out enough.

I'm assuming they'll probably be the same since it's the same denim weight?

15. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

1up,
    I would say that this cut does not work for you. No shame in this as we all have cuts that do not work. You say you tried the 31, 32 and now the 33. I can't imagine you going down a size to 32. I think that would make your hips and thighs look huge. They already look big in the 33. The lower half looks a little loose in the 33. In conclusion, your top block is too big for this cut.
    What is your measured waist? You say it is a 32, but I am thinking it is a few inches larger.